Should College Athletes get Paid?

The NCAA regulates college athletics and ultimately decides whether the athletes get paid or not. Within the last few years, people started to question if the NCAA was being unconstitutional by not allowing athletes to get paid. Many say it's not right because colleges are making so much money off their athletics and the athletes actually participating in the matter aren't getting any type of compensation. So the US Supreme Court had a case on whether or not these athletes should get paid. Ultimately, on June 21, 2021, the Supreme court decided that the NCAA cannot ban certain types of payments. California was the first state to pass an NIL law, followed by many other states.

Over the last few years of this debate there are two major opinions. Some people think that getting your eduction paid for is enough compensation for the college athletes. Along with this there aren't many collegiate athletes that move onto professional sports. Because of this, people believe that athletes should be utilising there scholarships and eductions, instead of focusing more on their sport and making money. 

The other side to this argument is that they don't have time for jobs and since being an athlete is like having a full-time job. So then they should be compensated for all their hard work and dedication. Along with this, colleges make an extreme amount of money from the likeness of these players. Another argument to why these athletes should get paid is because they often live below the poverty line, along with their families. This money could really be important to these players that don't have time to get other income.

Personally, I believe that collegiate players should get some sort of compensation, but there should be a limit or cap on how much they're making. For many athletes it would be extremely beneficial. On the otherside they can't get too much because then when they have to get a different job they are not going to have the best money managment skills. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

Why or why not should they get paid?

How much do you think they should get paid and do you think their scholarships should be considered with it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that college athletes should get paid a little bit, but not a significant amount. Most athletes get a portion, if not all, of their tuition and room and board, paid for because they are playing for the college or university. If they do get paid, it should be a small amount so they can live, not make a fortune.

• I do think college athletes should get paid. They put so much work into their sport escpecially on the college level that some probably wouldn't have time to find work. I don't really know how much they get paid now but it should reflect how they play in the games and things like that and I think their scholarships should be considered with it.

• I agree with you that they should be paid, but I disagree with you that they should get paid based on how they play. There are some people that don't play a single game that season, but still put all the effort and time into the sport.

• I don't think college athletes should get paid. I think that if the more well known athletes should get paid, then all college athletes should get paid. Also, some players are getting their full tuition paid, so they don't have much they need to pay for. I think athletes should still get scholarhips, but not get paid.

• I think that college athletes should get paid but I don't think they should be paid as much as they are. They deserve to be paid because they are raising millions of dollars for their coaches and their schools. I think depending on how much they play and their role in their sport they should be paid more then others but I think the most they should be getting paid is 500K and the only people that deserve that much money is star players.

• I think college athletes should get paid because college sports take up so much time. They should get the same amount of pay as an average job does. They put in countless hours and hardwork. 

• I agree with you. They put so much time and effort into being an athlete that they don't have time for a job. Because of this I think they should be compensated some, because being an athlete is like a full-time job.

• I personally think that college athletes should get paid and I think that because they go out there and show their worth and hopefully make it the the NFL.

• I think they should be paid but there should be a limit on how much money they can get from deals. If these athletes get paid to much they can make dumb decisions and ruin their potential future in the professional scene.  

• I never thought of this. I think you make a good point when you say they could make dumb decisions and ruin their future. This is just more reason to have a cap on how much they get paid.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker