Should College Athletes get Paid?

The NCAA regulates college athletics and ultimately decides whether the athletes get paid or not. Within the last few years, people started to question if the NCAA was being unconstitutional by not allowing athletes to get paid. Many say it's not right because colleges are making so much money off their athletics and the athletes actually participating in the matter aren't getting any type of compensation. So the US Supreme Court had a case on whether or not these athletes should get paid. Ultimately, on June 21, 2021, the Supreme court decided that the NCAA cannot ban certain types of payments. California was the first state to pass an NIL law, followed by many other states.

Over the last few years of this debate there are two major opinions. Some people think that getting your eduction paid for is enough compensation for the college athletes. Along with this there aren't many collegiate athletes that move onto professional sports. Because of this, people believe that athletes should be utilising there scholarships and eductions, instead of focusing more on their sport and making money. 

The other side to this argument is that they don't have time for jobs and since being an athlete is like having a full-time job. So then they should be compensated for all their hard work and dedication. Along with this, colleges make an extreme amount of money from the likeness of these players. Another argument to why these athletes should get paid is because they often live below the poverty line, along with their families. This money could really be important to these players that don't have time to get other income.

Personally, I believe that collegiate players should get some sort of compensation, but there should be a limit or cap on how much they're making. For many athletes it would be extremely beneficial. On the otherside they can't get too much because then when they have to get a different job they are not going to have the best money managment skills. 

Do you think college athletes should get paid?

Why or why not should they get paid?

How much do you think they should get paid and do you think their scholarships should be considered with it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that college athletes should get paid because they put so much work into a sport for college and they have no time for a job and no time to see their family. College athlete's lives revolve around the sport they are playing. I think they should get paid but not too much and their scholarships should not be considered with it. 

• I think that college athletes should get paid considering they are playing for people's entertainment. I don't think they should get paid a lot, because they are still young and could spend it on useless things. However, it can also cost the players money to play the sport and it takes up the majority of their time, so they should receive payment.

• I think college athletes should get paid. They are playing for millions of fans entertainment, and should be compesated for it. They should have some sort of limit on how much they can be paid, but still get paid enough. Playing for a sport can cost them money, and they should get something to make up for it.

• I see where you are coming from. If athletes did get paid, then I think there should be a cap on how much. I'm not too sure what that cap would be, but I don't think they should make too much.

• I think college athletes should be paid, but with a limit as to how much. If they are there on scholarship, I don't think they should make nearly as much either, because the point of the scholarship is defeated in a way. However, for many of these athletes, their sport is their full time job, so it is hard for them to find or work another job, and paying them for their hard work would be the right thing to do. 

• I think that I feel both ways about it because they work hard for the teams they play for but some players might not manage the money well and spend it unaccording. I think that they shouldn't get paid a lot, if they started to get paid. 

• I don't think that it will work because they will only go to certain colleges for money. If they got paid the bigger schools will just overpower with good athletes and it will get repetitive. If they do get paid I don't think they should get a massive amount they should get a moderate amount if they do get paid. I have mixed opinions on it anyway though.

• I agree withn you. I partly didn't think it would work because of certain colleges overpowering. But if there was a cap on how much the players made, it could lower the chance of overpowering colleges.

• I think college athletes should get paid because they can use that money to help set up their lives and not stress about not having money. I also think that it will help them get through college easier. I think they should get paid based on the amount of work they put in.

• I think college athetes could be getting payed becuase a lot of people look up to them and their skill level. I think that they should get payed the years after their first becuase they might commit just for the money. I think that they should be using scholarships and maybe get payed seperate.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker