Should anyone be able to adopt?

Having a kid is a lot of responsibility, but something that is even harder is having a kid that has been through the system of foster care. Foster care is a system that places a kid (up to 18 years old) in a group home or a private home. In a private home is a state-certified caregiver also known as a “foster parent”. The placement of the child is normally due to the parents losing custody of the child for many different reasons, however, this is not always the case. Sometimes it is because the child's parents or guardian passed away, and the child has no other relatives to go to.  

In Iowa you have to go through a process to adopt a child. Including face-to-face interviews with a social worker and eventually the child or teen, home visits, and a background check including checking fingerprints, records, criminal records, amd child abuse records. You don’t have to be married and you don’t have to live in a house, you can live in a trailer or an apartment. You have to be at least 21 years old, but there is no maximum age as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable. You don’t need parenting experience either, there is training that can be provided. If the child is 14-18 they have to agree to the adoption, the biological parent(s) must give consent in the presence of the court or a social worker. 

After the adoption the biological parent(s) have 30 days to change their minds unless it was an emergency adoption where the child is taken from their home because they were in a dangerous setting. So you have to go through a lot to become a foster parent. Not everyone is fit for the job. There are different laws set in place so the child is in a safe home. Including you have to be at least 21, if you are a couple adopting one of you is the parent of the child who is being adopted, and there is no maximum age limit, as long as you can prove you are mentally and physically stable.  

In my opinion I don’t think that anyone should be able to adopt a kid, you have to be stable mentally, physically, and financially. If anyone could adopt I think that the kid could be in danger. I think that the laws are good, and that if you can prove you are stable enough to take care of a child then you should be able to adopt. 

Do you think that anyone should be able to adopt? 

Do you think there should be an age maxuim? why? Why not? 

If you do, what should it be? 

Do you think that you should have to be 21? Why? Why not? 

Sorces: 

Source 1

Source 2 

Source 3 

Source 4 

Source 5

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that 65 is a good age limit, and thats a good point of view 

• I think there should be reqirements you need to meet to adopt a kid. Some of these being a certain income that is deemed healthy for you and a child to live on. I also think there should be a age limit due to maturite that comes with having a kid takes. 

• I dont think everyone should be able to adopt, I think you need to hit certain criteria to insure the child is safe. I think age maximum should be normal age to be a parent. I think you should be 18+ and have a stable life before being able to adopt.

• I don't think that anyone should be able to adopt, I think that they need to be tested/checked on what they know to see if they are even capable of raising a kid. I don't really think the age matters to much as long as they can raise the kid.

• I think that there should definetely be restrictions when it comes to adopting a child. The people who want to adopt should be in the right mindset and make sure they have a suitable living environment at home. I think there should be an age limit so then people won't adopt for the wrong reasons. 

• Not anyone, they need to be tested for certain things and we need to be able to know that they are capable of adopting. It depends of the person, but I do not think the age should really matter, just make sure they are someone with good intentions. 

• I don't think anyone should be able to adopt. There are so many safety factors that need to be taken into account. I don't think age matters as long as they can provide and take care of the child they adopt. I do think that you should be at least 21 to adopt being you are more likely to be able to provide for a kid.

• I think that anyone who is stable and has a stable household should be able to adapt. You want the children that are being adopted to go to a good family so they don't have to struggle with family problems. I think that you should be at least 18 to adopt but past that age, I do not think it matters. 

• I think that people should be able to adopt and i feel like it is really hard and they should make it easier. But a kid is hard work and it is a lot of time. i feel like pople dont adopt because how difficault it is.i think you should be atleaset 25 for kids because they have to have good parent and they have to have to some money.

• I think people should definitly be able to adopt and especially if they're the right person for it. I think you should have to be 21 because until then, you haven't had a real experience out in the world on your own.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker