Mr.Bruns is one of few teachers that offers extra credit opportunities to students. Extra credit is a great way for students to increase their grade %. “So if extra credit helps students’ grades, why don’t we have extra credit in every class?” The problem with that question is the fact that many teachers dislike extra credit. Some people believe in extra credit opportunities, while others don’t. So which side of this argument should be supported?

There are many good reasons why Mr.Bruns and other teachers offer extra credit opportunities. For starters, it helps students have better grades and a better chance of passing the class. If you are a student who struggles, you can put in some more time into the class in order to receive extra credit. Mr.Bruns offers note taking, reading History/CWI chapters, ect, in order to receive extra credit. This is a great way to help students in his class. If extra credit opportunities were given out in more classes, it could definitely benefit many students' grades. 

Although extra credit seems too good to be true, there are some cons to it. Many teachers respond to this argument saying that students will focus more time on extra credit, and less time on studying for test and/or doing homework. Students might spend a whole night working on extra credit assignments, and forget about their homework that was assigned, or their test that is coming up. Another argument that is issued is that it is simply not fair to all students. According to marktomforde, “you can't base one student's final grade on homework and exams, and then base another student's final grade on an "extra credit" project. It is simply not fair.”

Mr.Bruns has a cap amount of extra credit that a student can receive every semester. In my opinion, I think this is a great and fair way to give students extra credit opportunities. I believe that every teacher should be required to offer some extra credit opportunities. However, it should be the teacher's choice on how many opportunities he or she is willing to offer. Some students simply just struggle with classes no matter how much they study. So extra credit is a great way to help a student out. Plus, extra credit is a great way of studying for classes too!.

Do you take advantage of extra credit opportunities?

Do you think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to students? If so, should all teachers be required to offer them?

https://stampedenews.net/5519/news/academics/extra-credit-boosts-grades/ 

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/NoExtraCredit.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I usually don't take advantage of extra credit opportunities as I usually don't need it to help my grade. I believe it should be up to the teacher whether they want to offer extra credit or not. Extra credit is normally only used by a few in a class, so I think it should be up to the teacher whether it's worth offering it or not.

• I am in a similar position as you. I usually have pretty good grades. However, I still do extra credit just so my grades can be as best as possible. 

• Yes, teachers should offer some sort of extra credit in there class. I sometimes take advantage of the teachers that do give extra credit. Even if the teachers don't make a new worksheet on something, add like a bonous point to a quiz or even a test.

• I do the same thing. I like to take advantage of any extra credit opportunity I get. 

• I have taken advantage of some extra credit opportunities, such as answering the bonus question on physical science homewprk/tests. I don't need the extra credit, but it is nice to have, so I do think that all teachers should have to offer at least one extra credit opportunity.

• Thats what I do. I always do the bonus questions or at least try to see if I can get it right.

• I dont think teachers should have to offer extra credit oppertunities. Extra credit is helpful when you don't do so well on a test and want to bring your grade up, but many students may take advantage of extra credit and not study for tests. 

• I can see what you are saying. But what if the extra credit project was a form or way of studying for the upcoming test. 

• I feel that extra credit should be a choice of the teacher if they want to offer it or not. Extra credit can be used by those who are failing, but it should not be a crutch to use if they do not get their work done. You can easily sit there for a couple hours every night to finish your homework instead of adding another hour in order to fit in another project.

• I see what you're saying. However, I think that the extra credit really pays off for all the hours. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker