Mr.Bruns is one of few teachers that offers extra credit opportunities to students. Extra credit is a great way for students to increase their grade %. “So if extra credit helps students’ grades, why don’t we have extra credit in every class?” The problem with that question is the fact that many teachers dislike extra credit. Some people believe in extra credit opportunities, while others don’t. So which side of this argument should be supported?

There are many good reasons why Mr.Bruns and other teachers offer extra credit opportunities. For starters, it helps students have better grades and a better chance of passing the class. If you are a student who struggles, you can put in some more time into the class in order to receive extra credit. Mr.Bruns offers note taking, reading History/CWI chapters, ect, in order to receive extra credit. This is a great way to help students in his class. If extra credit opportunities were given out in more classes, it could definitely benefit many students' grades. 

Although extra credit seems too good to be true, there are some cons to it. Many teachers respond to this argument saying that students will focus more time on extra credit, and less time on studying for test and/or doing homework. Students might spend a whole night working on extra credit assignments, and forget about their homework that was assigned, or their test that is coming up. Another argument that is issued is that it is simply not fair to all students. According to marktomforde, “you can't base one student's final grade on homework and exams, and then base another student's final grade on an "extra credit" project. It is simply not fair.”

Mr.Bruns has a cap amount of extra credit that a student can receive every semester. In my opinion, I think this is a great and fair way to give students extra credit opportunities. I believe that every teacher should be required to offer some extra credit opportunities. However, it should be the teacher's choice on how many opportunities he or she is willing to offer. Some students simply just struggle with classes no matter how much they study. So extra credit is a great way to help a student out. Plus, extra credit is a great way of studying for classes too!.

Do you take advantage of extra credit opportunities?

Do you think that extra credit opportunities should be offered to students? If so, should all teachers be required to offer them?

https://stampedenews.net/5519/news/academics/extra-credit-boosts-grades/ 

https://marktomforde.com/academic/undergraduates/NoExtraCredit.html 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I usually take advantage of the extra credit opportunities given by teachers. I think this is a great way for students to earn better grades and improve their current ones. I think teachers should give students the option of extra credit, but I also understand if some don't. If you need it I think that asking a teacher for extra work to do if they don't already supply it is a good solution. 

• I agree. I think that extra credit is a great way for students to bump up their grades. 

• I do take advantage of the extra credit opportunites that are given. I think that extra credit should be given in most classes. If a student is willing to do extra work on a subject they should be rewarded for what they did. If a teacher doesn't offer it, you can always talk to them about other ways to up your grades.

• I agree. It can just be really tough when teachers just refuse to offer extra credit opportunities when you're really struggling in a subject. 

• I usually do all the extra credit I can for history. However, I don't think it should be a required thing. I think sometimes it's good, but it also adds more to a teacher work load. They already have to grade a lot and if every student could do unlimited extra credit it could get out of hand. Good topic.

• I agree. But thats why I was thinking that there should be a cap limit just like Mr.Bruns has. Thats a great way of putting it!

• After a lot of thought, maybe the cap limit could be like 50 points in every class room just like Mr.Bruns has it. If teachers do not like that, then they can always lower it.

• I don't take advantage of every extra credit opportunity, but there is a lot that I do appreciate. I think extra credit is a good tool. A one percent drop in your grade can affect your GPA, so it's nice to be able to add even just a point or two to your grade. Extra credit questions on tests benefit students by encouraging them to comprehend more difficult parts of the curriculum.

• I agree. Every point counts and extra credit can turn your grade from like a B+ to an A- which is a big difference in GPA. Personally, I take advantage of extra credit even if I already have an A so just in case I do bad on a test, my grade can stay high. 

• I personally take advantage of extra credit opportunities because I think they help you have better grades. I think extra credits opportunities should be allow as they show if a student wants to make some extra work and get a better grade or just do the regular work assigned in class. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker