During the school days, if seniors are proficient in their grades and testing, seniors are given the privilege to leave school and have an open campus hour. In your junior year, if you are proficient in testing, during the fourth quarter you’re given the same chance to leave during lunch and open classes. This privilege leads to some arguments and fighting between the school and students. Some students believe that if you are passing classes and proficient you should be allowed to leave, others feel that it is unfair for the lowerclassmen to have the same privileges. The individuals who think all students should be allowed to leave feel that if someone works hard enough for it they should be able to leave for the downtime at school. Some would even argue that teaching kids more than a study hall would. Open campus has shown some growth in students' independence and responsibility. It allows students the opportunity to prove their responsibility and great efforts in school. Some would even argue that it helps support local businesses and promotes shopping locally.

Others would argue that only seniors deserve the open campus because throughout the years they have proven whether they deserve it or not. Some people feel that lowerclassmen are not mature enough to leave. Some other cons to the open campus are the risk to students' lives while going to and from school. It may soon lead to excess tardies and an increased amount of absences. Another negative aspect of the open campus is some parents feel it leads to students spending unnecessary money. Schools worry that students will take advantage of the open campus and lead to getting the whole privilege taken away.

I don’t mind how it goes. I think that if we give it to lower grades we have to make sure that students have a permit or license. I think that if schools allow lower ages to leave, the school will start to see an increase in absences and a decrease in grades. At the same time, I think that if students are proving they can be responsible and handle leaving school then we should allow them. So overall, I don’t care if it was changed or not.

Do you think lowerclassmen should have an open campus?

Do you think students would take advantage of it?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think as long as you can drive you should be able to get open campus as long as you are not failing any classes. I also think that it should not depend on your testing score because some people are just not good at testing in general.

• Students with a liscence would be the only ones to get the opportunity to get out of stufy hall. And ones that arent failing a class.

• Yes, I think that certain students should be able to leave during there study halls. I believe that certain students such as the ones that are doing well in there classes should get to leave, but the ones who are struggling or need help should stay and work on getting their grade up in that class. 

• I think that lowerclassmen should be able to leave, but only a specific way though. I think that the juniors should also get open campus all year long, and sophomores get the opportunity to earn open campus during 4th quarter. I think students skipping class already is a problem also.

• I think that if open campus was available for proficient underclassmen who can't drive other than on their route, they'd be more tempted to go somewhere that is off their route. I think it would be nice for juniors to have open campus because most of them can drive.

• Yeah they probably would but if they did they would get that opportunity taken away from them.

• I feel that people should be allowed to leave no matter what, Or even just go into different classes that would want them. For example, if you are in STEM, and you are working on STEM products, you should be allowed into that classroom. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's ok because we all have opinions. 

• I think it should be a privilage for the students who are proficient. I like it starting junior year because mostly all students have their licence and students have had the chance to prove themself. It depends on the student but I think in some cases students could benifit from the freedom.

• I agree because most of the juniors are responsible and know what the consequences could be. It does just depend of the person.

• I feel like if you're just going home that would be fine, but it would encourage a lot of people to go off their route and tardies will increase by a lot. Although if we were to ever do that, which we probably won't, it would just piss off all of the upperclassmen because they didn't get that option.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker