Should 3D-Printed Guns Be allowed?

What are 3D-printed guns? 3D printed guns are privately-made guns that can either be bought as a kit or assembled by using a 3D printer and other accessories. 3D-printed guns have nicknames called “ghost guns” since they have no serial number and have no trace of being bought. US lawmakers are concerned about these guns since anyone can make or purchase a kit without undergoing required checks. The White House also mentions that law enforcement is struggling since most weapons are unmarked and can’t be traced to the owners.

These 3D-printed guns have been in the news for quite some time. On October 2019 an attack in Germany happened and later media coverage reported that the gunman was using a 3D-printed gun. Also in 2016 in Queensland, Australia a drug raid occurred, and they found a 3D-printed submachine gun. After all of this government agencies and companies are trying to reduce and regulate them. Then the Bureau of Industry and Security started to use the export administration regulations restrictions on printed guns since they were taken off the US Munitions List.

Then in 2022, Biden made a final rule which switch the ATF’s definition of a firearm. So 120 days after it gets in the Federal Register. It will get into effect that all firearm manufacturers that buy or build their own guns will need to be marked. Their idea was that if someone commits a crime with a 3D-printed gun they can be identified. 

Do You Think 3D-printed guns be allowed?

Do you think that marking parts will prevent crimes?   

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/biden-issues-new-rule-to-crack-down-on-ghost-guns-3d-printing-industry-responds-208052/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think this would be a cool idea. Using 3-D printing is very helpful in today's world. This invention would be very handy for the military and police enforcements. It would be cool to own such a unique invention.  I think this wouldn't cause crime as much as people would think.

• I agree because buying guns can be expensive and making them can be cheap and are easily to make.

• I think that they sould be allowed as long as they are safe and work explode, or backfire onto the operater. Also as long as they are not being used in shootings and mass muders around the world. Also the way that they make them is creative and cool.

• I think if they work they should be allowed. We need guns. I think as long as there safe it is fine. I wouldn't personally use them. Good topic.

• 3D-printed guns should be allowed because they are protected by the 2nd amendment. These "gost guns" don't have a serial number yes. However, the fact is that ghost guns are used in less than 1 percent of shootings. The government has no buisness in what firearms private citizens own. 

• I agree with you because they are protected by the 2nd amendment 

• I personally believe that it is not wrong to have a 3D-printed gun because as long as they are not using them for harm or are harming other people then I think that it is fine. also some 3D-printed guns are really cool to look at and hold.

• I agree with want you said because some 3D-printed guns can have cool designs and making 3D-printed guns can be a hobby for some people.

• I don't see anything wrong with 3D-printed guns if the person making them is not using them for harm. So, I think 3D-printed guns should be allowed. I think it is just like a real gun, so if you have a license to carry then you should be able to have a normal gun or a 3D-printed gun.

• I think that 3D-printed guns should be allowed because some can be cool and useful when they can buy a real gun or license a gun themselves. I believe that it won't really change anything about crimes because some people still get in trouble for it and some people have real ones and sometimes won't get caught.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker