Should 3D-Printed Guns Be allowed?

What are 3D-printed guns? 3D printed guns are privately-made guns that can either be bought as a kit or assembled by using a 3D printer and other accessories. 3D-printed guns have nicknames called “ghost guns” since they have no serial number and have no trace of being bought. US lawmakers are concerned about these guns since anyone can make or purchase a kit without undergoing required checks. The White House also mentions that law enforcement is struggling since most weapons are unmarked and can’t be traced to the owners.

These 3D-printed guns have been in the news for quite some time. On October 2019 an attack in Germany happened and later media coverage reported that the gunman was using a 3D-printed gun. Also in 2016 in Queensland, Australia a drug raid occurred, and they found a 3D-printed submachine gun. After all of this government agencies and companies are trying to reduce and regulate them. Then the Bureau of Industry and Security started to use the export administration regulations restrictions on printed guns since they were taken off the US Munitions List.

Then in 2022, Biden made a final rule which switch the ATF’s definition of a firearm. So 120 days after it gets in the Federal Register. It will get into effect that all firearm manufacturers that buy or build their own guns will need to be marked. Their idea was that if someone commits a crime with a 3D-printed gun they can be identified. 

Do You Think 3D-printed guns be allowed?

Do you think that marking parts will prevent crimes?   

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/biden-issues-new-rule-to-crack-down-on-ghost-guns-3d-printing-industry-responds-208052/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that if there is a way to make sure all 3-D printed there should not be an issue. But only certain people should be able to make the guns and sell them like any other regular gun. If these guns are marked the chances of crimes should go down if there is not day way to remove the markings that make them legal.

• I do not think that people making their own guns should be allowed considering any person with bad intentions can just make one and use it for harm. I think that marking the 3D-printed guns will prevent fewer people from committing crimes because they probably don't want it traced back to them for the crime.

• I agree with what said. Because anyone can make one and we don't know if they using it for good or bad.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker