Security cameras around school campus

Do you think schools should be allowed to have cameras in the hallways,  classrooms, and all around campus? This has been a very controversial topic for awhile. There are many pros and cons for both sides.

In an article I read, it said that 91% of public schools had security cameras in their hallways in 2020-2021. This is showing that the majority of public schools use this as a form of security. In that same article, it states that security cameras in schools are the second most used form of security. Schools rely on security camera footage for lots of things including fights, crashes, vandalism, theft, etc. 

There are many pros for having security cameras throughout schools, here are a few. If schools have security cameras outside of the school they can see what is going on in the parking lot and who comes into the school. Safety is the main reason schools have security cameras. To keep kids safe from intruders, to keep their belongings safe, and to keep them safe from other students. With security camera footage, schools can share important clips with emergency responders to figure out problems that might have happened.

Looking past all of the pros about this, there can also be some cons. Some might say it is an invasion of privacy to  students, teachers, and anyone who comes into the building. Another issue could be the cost of installing these cameras and purchasing them. They aren't cheap so the school has to have enough money to fund them or it might cause issues. Some might claim that security cameras don't help the crime because it has already been committed, so they can't do anything to prevent it.

I personally think schools should definitely have cameras on campus. I think it makes a safe environment for everyone, it can help solve many issues and all together make everyone feel a little more safe. It can also solve disputes between people if there was a crash and they don't know whose fault it was because the cameras would also be outside. I don't think that cameras should be inside classrooms though because that is a learning environment and it would feel weird having one in a classroom. They should definitely be showing all entrances to the rooms and their surroundings. 

Do you think schools should keep security cameras? 

Do you think cameras make the schools more safe? 

Would you be uncomfortable if there was a camera in your classroom?

https://www.weareteachers.com/web-cams-in-school/

https://www.rhombus.com/blog/school-security-cameras-video-surveillance-systems-pros-and-cons/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that schools should keep security cameras because if something ever did happen then they could see what happened. I think that it is just another device in the school. If there was a camera in my classroom I would be a little bit worried for other people because we like to screw around alot but no I would not be uncomfortable.

• I think that schools should have some sort of cameras in the hallways. I don't think its very nesscary to have them in classrooms. I would be uncomfortable if they were in class. At my dads there are cameras in the living rooms and they do freak me out.

• I think in some areas of the school there should definetly be more cameras and some there shouldn't. I think that if there were cameras in the classroom it could cut down on all of the messing around and if something were to happen administration could be able to tell who and what happened.

• I think that we should have cameras around the school but we do not need as many as we do. I think that kids should be able to be kids but I see why. It is a security- thing and that it helps know if kids are fighting. Cameras normally do not lie if kids are being kids and they get into a fight and one says something that is not true they could possibly see. 

• I believe that schools should have security cameras around the majority of school, keeping them out of private areas such as bathrooms and locker rooms. Though I do believe that there should be a camera pointed near those areas so if something were you happen you would be able to see the people who walked in and walked out while the event took place.

• Yes I think schools should keep security cameras. Also I think they do make the school more safe like someone having a gun so the office can see that they have to go into lock down. I think there are some pros to having cameras in classrooms like if people are having a fight and there are no teachers there.

• I think that there should be cameras in schools. I think that certain places should and certain places shouldn't. I think that the hallways are a good place to have them, but I don't know how I feel about cameras in classrooms. I would not like being in the classroom that has one.

• I agree. I dont think we should have cameras in classrooms. We should have them in hallways and othe open places like that.

• I think that schools should definetly have cameras in and outside of the building. They keep kids and teachers safe and can help when punishing students that get into fights, steal, and cause trouble. I would not feel uncomfortable with a security camera in my classroom just because it is a form of keeping us safe. 

• I think there should be cameras because it keeps us safe, even though it doesn't protect us it does keep us safe. because if the office sees an intruder coming through a door that we have a camera on they will be able to announce it. also if there is a school shooting it would be easier to catch them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker