School Lunch Around the World Compared to America

All around the world there are different standards for how students are provided lunch at school. Some countries school’s that don't allow students to bring lunch like France and Japan. While some schools don't serve lunch at all and expect kids to bring food from home like Canada. Every country has their own lunch guidelines.

Most European countries have the same basic outlines for school lunches. Italy banned serving fried food to students in school. Lunches typically have starch like rice or pasta, at least 2 vegetables, main food being: meat, fish and fruit. Now France provides multiple courses. The first one is a starter of vegetables followed by the main dish of meat and vegetables. Next a cheese course with bread on the side. The last course is a fruit or on the last day of week a sweet. Lunch is also usually 2 hours long for both Italy and France.

Now moving to the Asian countries. Japan has what is considered to be the healthiest school lunch. A typical lunch in Japan could have rice, grilled fish, seaweed wraps, miso soup, green tea, milk, vegetables, meat, tofu, or noodles. Students also help cook, serve, and clean after the lunches. Lunch in China  is around 40 minutes long. In China lunch usually consists of noodles, rice dumplings, steamed pork buns, soups, fruit and vegetables as well.

In the countries in Asia and Europe school meals typically are not funded by the government. The food is funded locally and grown locally too. Food is also prepared in the school from scratch unlike America. 

When it comes down to school lunches around the world some countries can't even compete for the best lunch. 1 country that can't compete is America. When you go to line up and get your tray you usually get 1-2 slots filled with some type of pre cooked food and the rest of the slots you have to fill with fruit and vegetables. The portions of food are typically not very big either. Lunch typically lasts between 30-45 minutes. Most food provided is frozen not made from scratch.

In my opinion I think that school lunches in America are definitely mediocre compared to countries in europe. I think that the school boards or government should find a way to provide better meals for students. 

Do you like the current lunches the school provides?

What country's lunch would you prefer?

10993578865?profile=RESIZE_710x

https://cromwell-intl.com/travel/france/school-lunch-menus/ 

https://www.google.com/search?q=italy+school+lunch&rlz=1C1GCEV_en___US1020&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh8eHZ58f9AhWklGoFHdkQBygQ_AUoAXoECAMQAw&biw=1366&bih=625&dpr=1#imgrc=SNylf80aMSMQmM

https://www.bokksu.com/blogs/news/lunch-in-japanese-schools#:~:text=Typical%20Japanese%20School%20Menu&text=Some%20foods%20that%20may%20appear,seaweed%20soup%2C%20and%20miso%20soup.

https://www.japanesefoodguide.com/japanese-school-lunch/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I normally don't like school lunches. There is sometimes that is good but I would like if there was more options to choose from so people could eat something they like or enjoy. I personally would like Italy's food lunch better. 

• I agree that there should be more options for students to pick from.

• The difference between the school lunches is interesting. I think that America has started to have more and more unhealthy fried food so it makes sense. I personally, don't like the school lunches and I do wish they were fresher and healthier.

• I believe that school lunch is not good to taste or very healthy. It probably has to do with funding and time. Well-prepared meals would be amazing, but then you would have to pay people more for that work.here is also the choice of bringing your own lunch from home which would be an easy solution.

• I think it is really interesting the differences between school lunches throughout different countries and regions. I think America in general has normalized processed and unhealthy foods so much to the point that the vast majority of Americans don't find much wrong with the contents of the lunches students get. In Europe and other Asian countries eat more naturally grown food with less pre-made things in general. I think America should try to make their lunches a little more healthy.

• Lots of the food in other contry's lunches are locally grown and not sitting in a can waiting to be uesd.

• I think the current lunch provided is not acceptable. Yes, students still eat it. But the food is not healthy and most of it looks "fake" and has a lot of added sugars and other ingredients that are not healthy at all. In the picture, you showed you can clearly see that the other lunches around the world look a lot healthier looking and the foods actually look "real".

• I agree that the food we get does not always look right like when the school provides rock hard chicken nuggets.

• I personally do not like the food our school is serving. I think that we could do better. However, I do not think that this is entirely our school's fault. I think that our country as a whole should do better for all schools in America. I think all of those lunches look good but I highly doubt that is what their school lunches actually look like. 

• I don't think the school lunch provided at our school is very good compared to other schools or countries. I think Finlands' school lunch looks the most appetizing because of the fruits and vegetables, and it looks like you will get enough food.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker