School Dress Codes

Dress codes play a big part in numerous schools in America and around the world. These dress codes make it so students do not wear inappropriate clothing. Many schools enforce stringent dress codes; however, some schools do not. Are these dress codes targeted toward a specific gender? There are several different opinions on dress codes at school. But wouldn't you think if the dress code is pointed toward the whole school, it's not aimed at one specific gender? 

Some people say that school dress codes are very biased towards the female gender. Many sources say over half of the rules in the dress code handbook apply to female clothing. If a girl is being dress coded for distracting the male gender, should that really be her own fault? Various people think that this is the male's fault for getting distracted by the female body. Females should be allowed to dress in what they are comfortable in.

There are also people that believe the dress codes are targeted toward both genders, male and female. Lots of these people think that dress codes are helping assist a more professional learning environment for students and they need to be kept the same. Sources say, “Over 69 percent prohibit items typically associated with males, such as “muscle tees” and “sagging pants”.”

In my opinion, I think that the school dress codes can often be pretty biased toward females. It does seem that many of the rules for dress codes are mainly pointed at females and very few are pointed at males. I would say almost 95 percent of students that get coded are females. 

Do you think dress codes apply to females?

If so, do you think they need to be changed?

https://thedispatchonline.net/13573/journalism-1/dress-codes-are-biased-against-females 

https://www.centraltimes.org/opinions/2021/12/11/opinion-dress-codes-discriminate-against-girls 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that when most schools put a dress code in place they have the female/female-identifying crowd in mind. From what I believe, the schools think that a young girl's shoulder is more distracting than the talking going on in the back of the class. Maybe instead of training our young girls to cover up and be ashamed of their bodies, we could teach the boys of our generation that women need to be treated with respect and not be distracted by something so silly as an exposed shoulder.

• I think dresscodes are more peointed to females then males. Most females have to cover up more then males. Females should be allowed to wear whatever they seem comfortable in and it shouldn't be a problem for others to focus on what they are wearing then their education. 

• At our school, dress codes are more pointed at girls. We have to make sure our pants and shirt are touching. I feel like that there is a dress code for a reason, but I would like the rules to be less strict. A section of my stomach will not make someone fail a math test. Less than two inches of fabric on my shoulder would not distract someone presenting a presentation.

• Yes, I agree, there is a dress code for a reason but the rules could certainly be less strict. 

• I think that some dress codes should be applied to some extent.  I don't think that they need to be super strict but I think they should have some power.  The dress codes do not really affect me because I only wear t-shirts and shorts every day to school. That's all I like to wear.

• I agree with what you are saying. They should have power but also they don't need to be super strict. 

• Yes I think when schools implement a school dress code, they are doing in direction to girls. If you look at it there are so many restrictions that only take in affect into girls clothing attire. They have maybe one for boys saying, no foul language or guns on their shirts, but they also don't do anything about it when these are worn. I think tje dress code needs to be updated.

• I agree with you. There are very few rules that apply to men and many that apply to girls. I would say the no foul language or guns on shirts are probably also pointed toward women, just maybe not as much. 

• I think dress codes mostly apply to females. Generally the people wearing inappropiate clothes are females and that is probably why they are mainly pointed to them. I believe it could be changed by being more flexible to girls or trying that girls wear more appropiate clothes according to the dress code.

• Yes, it could be a little more flexible because this generation's fashion is much more "showy" clothing. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker