School Banned Yearbook Picture of Trap Shoot Team

A member of the school board at Big Lake High School wrote on Facebook "The Trap Shoot team picture will not be in the year book due to shotguns being in the picture." One parents said that the students' guns are their equipment just like a football belongs to a football player and they way a basketball belongs to a  basketball player. One parent even threw in the mascot of the school because it is a wasp and said that the stinger must be a weapon so if they are doing that to the Trap Shoot Team they might as well get a new mascot.  Eventually after all of the complaints from parents they let the Trap Shoot Team in the Yearbook. 

A School Banned Yearbook Pictures Of The Trap-Shooting Team ... Because Of Guns

Read the story here

#1. Why do you think parents got so mad about this?

#2. Why do you think people are against guns?

My answers-I think parents that have kids on the Trap Shoot want to see their child's picture in the Yearbook some other parents might just think it is wrong because they see nothing wrong with guns. I think people are against guns because they think anyone that has one is going to shoot somebody. I personally see nothing wrong with guns. If the person behind the trigger is responsible and knows how to properly use a gun there is no problem. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree it is a dumb reason to not have the picture in the yearbook, I would also get mad about this if I was the parent to one of these kids. I think guns are only considered a "weapon" if they are used for bad reasons.

• Most parents are probably upset because there childs team is not going to be in the yearbook, yet every other sport is. The yearbook should not have a problem with the guns in the picture because the school doesn't have a problem with the children using the guns as a sport. People are probably against the guns because of a child bring the gun into the school and starting something bad. 

• I think it is wrong to have all other sports in the year book but not a specific one because it has guns in it. It would be a problem if children brought guns to school, parents need to make sure that their child isn't causing any danger.

• I think parents are mad because they feel like their kids involvement isn't as important as the other kids and their involvement. I also feel like the parents who don't have children in trap shooting would still be upset because their isn't anything wrong with it and it could be one of their kids friends having their pic taken out... Nor would they want something like that happen to their child. I think people are against guns because of all the school shootings, suicides, and just that they show case danger. 

• I agree, I see nothing wrong with the guns in the picture. I also agree that people are against guns because of crimes that they have been apart of. It's really not the gun that's the problem, its the person holding it.

• I think that these people are against guns because they think that if anyone has a gun on them that they will end up shooting someone or shooting up something. I see nothing wrong with guns. I see nothing wrong with have the tramp shooting team in the yearbook. I think it is dumb to keep them from not letting them be in the yearbook just because of the gun. 

• I think that some of the parents got mad about the trap shooting picture not being in there own year book because they have children of there own in this team. Yet they could also be mad and upset that with this picture it could be promoting gun since they allowed guns to be apart of there photo. If I was a parent of one of these kids I would be pretty upset because it would be wrong not to let the kids of the photo in the yearbook. 

• Because some of their kids were in the team, but they couldn't be in the yearbook because of something the school has allowed them to use at their meets(?) for as along as they've been in the team. Because it could be shown that they are I don't know evil, serial killers maybe I really don't know why maybe it's because they have been used to kill people.

• The parents are probably mad because they think the school is supporting guns since they allow the trap team to have their guns in the yearbook picture. I don't think they want the school to promote guns because then people will think that guns are an okay thing to use at any time. I do think that the parents are kind of overreacting though. Trap team is about shooting and they shouldn't be shamed for that. Everyone knows it so it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

• Kids want to see their pictures in the year book and parents want to see their child in the year book.  I feel like people are against guns just because o fall the shootings happening around. the problem with their philosophy however is that making guns illegal is only aiding the people. because if they want to kill someone they don't care if they use a legal or illegal weapon.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker