San Diego Police Killed 15 Year Old

On Saturday San Diego police were called to Torrey Pines High School. The student that was shot was the one that called the police department on behalf of a student that had "welfare" problems which was a lie. He was referring to himself which authorities later figured out. The officers reported to the school to the student at the school and as they got out of the squad cars the student pulled a BB gun on the officers. They then pulled guns on the student and were forced to shoot when he disobeyed their orders to stop and drop the gun, he walked towards them and they shot. They did not release the students name. On Monday there will be a crisis response team on school properties at all times. 

Questions:

1. If you were a police men in this situation what would you have done? 

2. Do you think it is a good idea to have a crisis response team at the school? Why or why not?

My Opinion: I personally don't know how I would have approached it, and that is why I will never be able to be a police officer. I think it is a good idea to have a unit on call for the school, but I don't know if it is a good idea to have the crisis team in school all day because it may cause an even more tense situation. 

Click here for link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree being a police officer would be hard in situations like this, because I would not want to hurt a child but you have to protect yourself and the others around.  It may be a good idea to have the crisis team there to calm some people down, but then again it might just cause more ruckus than people want there. 

• I'm really not sure what I would have done if I were in the situation. I would try not to shoot the kid because he was only 15 years old and there would have to bee some other way to get him to drop his gun. I think that it is a good idea to have a crisis response team because they could take control of a situation before it ends up getting out of hand and someone gets hurt.

• I agree I would not know what to do in a situation like this, it would be a very tough decision especially because the child was so young and you want to be able to help them another way without causing harm to them.  Yes the crisis team can maybe take control to help calm some people down, but having them there may just cause the situation to be bigger than it needs to be. 

• I honestly don't know what I would have done. In my opinion either way it could have ended badly. Just because it was a BB gun doesn't mean that it still wouldn't hurt if he shot it at them. I think that the boy shouldn't have brought the gun to school but I also think that the police shouldn't have killed him. I think that a crisis response team at the school would be a good idea just for a week or two but not for the whole school year. I think it would just make things wore instead of making them better. 

• Well I would try to convince a student nicely like a child because he was still a child, he might be disobedient but still he will listen at  the end. I think it's a good idea to have a crisis at school as the officers did not do a right thing to kill the kid.

• I would definitely not shoot the kid. If he had an actual gun a probably would of. I think it was stupid of them to shoot this kid. Yes, to prevent any other situations like this from happening.

• I agree that it would be very difficult to shoot a kid, but it is very hard to tell the difference sometimes. If you were a cop with a gun pointed at you what would you do? I also think that they should have someone around to help if there is another situation. 

• If I were a police men that got called to this, It would be hard to deiced what action to take and how to handle this. It is very hard to decide what action would have been the right one to take. Its even harder to decide since it was a child too. 

• I think it would be insanely hard to make a decision on what to do. There is no way I would be able to do something. I agree with you that since it is a child I would have no way to decide what I could do. 

• I don't know how I would've handled this situation because it is very difficult to decide what actions were the right ones. Possibly, in case another incident like this occurs or someone reacts bad to the situation.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker