Roller Rink or Ice Rink?

Roller skating rink or Ice skating rink? I feel Harlan should add either one of these. Roller skating rinks are a fun thing to do in your free time. They have been around for about a century. 1930-1950 was a popular time for roller skating then again in the 70s and 80s. Roller skating is a fun thing to do with friends and family. Whether it be rollerblading or roller skating you could go out and enjoy it. A rink costs around $75,000+ but this is not including what renter skates would cost and maybe some extra fun stuff. 

An Ice skating rink is also very fun. Ice skating rinks have been around since 1876 so they're pretty old too. An ice skating rink/hockey rink would cost up to $200,000 to $600,000. Now not only could a person skate for fun but there are some other perks to ice rinks. Figure skating is a sport that some people might enjoy doing around Harlan. Figure skating is a sport in which individuals, pairs, or groups perform on figure skates on ice. Another fun sport that could be added to Harlan is Hockey. Hockey is like football on ice with sticks instead of hands so I feel Harlan would enjoy it. (the only downside to the sports is they may cost a lot of money)

If it were up to me I would definitely add an ice rink to harlan. I feel it would be a fun thing for many people to do. I also love watching hockey and skating is pretty fun to do.

QUESTIONS

~What would you choose, ice rink or roller rink? Why?

~Should we add either to Harlan?

Sources 

https://skateworld1.com/the-incredible-history-of-roller-skating/#:~:text=1819%20%E2%80%93%20A%20Frenchman%20named%20Mr,first%20public%20roller%20skating%20rinks

https://www.britannica.com/sports/ice-skating 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would rather choose to have an ice rink becuase there fun and there pretty cool. I feel skating is more funner than roller scating and also being able to play hocky seems fun. I think that we should add an ice rink in Harlan just to make Harlan funner and better.

• I think it would be a good idea to put a roller skating rink here in Harlan. There is nothing for kids to do here in this small town and adults wonder why kids are getting in trouble. If we had something to occupy us kids we wouldn't get in trouble that often.  So I think they should build a Roller Skating Rink here. 

• I agree that it would be a great idea to add a roller rink for people to do.  Kids get so bored and I feel that this will be a super fun thing to enjoy with family and friends when you're bored.

• I think that we should add a roller rink to Harlan, they are cheaper and can be run year round, an ice rink can but it takes a lot of energy and electricity. Ice skating is a lot harder and the injuries are more serious from ice skates because they are sharp.  The price difference in skates is similar however the keep up for a roller rink and skates is easier as well.

• I would rather have an ice rink rather than a roller rink. Ice rinks are just cooler and you can't do them unless you have like a frozen lake or something. Roller skates can be used a lot of place like the skate park. I think it would be cool to add one to harlan, but it wouldn't be a huge one because of spending.

• I think that they should have a roller or ice rink, even if its temporary. Harlan has really went downhill when it comes to things like activities. Sure we have the wellness center and parks I guess but we need something that will never get old. And I think a year round ice rink would be really cool. Or people could rent it for a birthday party. I mean it would make quite a lot of money so I don't see a problem there, and in my opinion I think there are maybe too many churches in Harlan, so maybe we could put one there.

• I agree that having either rinks would bring Harlan a bit more fun to do for everyone. I also see the fact of money being the biggest problem but I'm sure Harlan can find a way.

• I think that a roller rink would be a huge hit for Harlan. Since there isn't much to do besides swim and go bowling, I think that Harlan needs a few other things for people to do. With a roller rink, you can have roller derby and some recreational activities like the skate park, where you can do basically whatever you want.

• I think an ice rink will be good. With an ice rink, you do a lot of things on it. Like ice skating and hockey. So I think that they should add an ice rink instead of an roller skating rink. 

• I rather have a roller skating place than an ice rink. because it's a lot harder and a lot more people would go there than to the ice rink. if someone would want to have one in Harlan I would think that roller rink would get better business. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker