Roe v Wade Overturned

Roe v Wade Overturned

On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade (the landmark piece of legislation that made having access to abortions a federal right in the U.S.) By making this decision, they allowed states to decide their abortion laws. Some states that have limited access or completely banned abortions include but aren’t limited to Alabama, Ohio, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, and more. Many people across the nation are still mad about this.

The only alternative to abortion is child birth. Child birth has approximately a 14x higher probability of death than abortions. Clinics in states that haven’t banned or restricted abortions find themselves struggling with having enough staff to help people. 

I personally think that the court made the wrong decision on this case. Now, this has been in question for many years being such a controversial topic. Many people say that “abortion is murder”. Whilst others believe they should have a say as to what happens to them/their fetus.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you think they made the right or wrong decision and why?

Source(s): https://www.american.edu/cas/news/roe-v-wade-overturned-what-it-means-whats-next.cfm 

https://www.guttmacher.org/2023/01/six-months-post-roe-24-us-states-have-banned-abortion-or-are-likely-do-so-roundup

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think if a woman becomes pregnant then both parents should take responsibility for their actions. However, I think there should always be exceptions like if rape or incest was involved or if the mother’s health is at risk or if doctors know the fetus won’t survive.

• Personally, I think that abortion is Murder, but I do think under 1 circumstance that it could still be ok. If a person is 16 or under and they have been raped. Then I think they should be able to have an abortion. Other then that, they are smart enough to make the decision when they have kids. 

• I think that abortion is wrong. Your baby's life shoudn't end just because you made a bad decision. No matter how small, that baby is a life and aborting it is murder. I think they made the right decision by leaving it up to the states. 

• I agree on part of your statement. Leaving it up to the states is a good idea, but abortion isn't wrong. What if she was raped? Incest? would your opinion still be the same? Many people have the idea in their head that abortion is murder. But millions of women across the world don't have access to abortions and the states are lucky to even HAVE clinics that specialize in this.

• I think that they made the right decision by leaving it up to the states to decide. I believe that it is wrong to abort a baby. I believe that abortion is murder.

• I think that abortion is murder. Abortion should be illegal all around the world. If you make the decision to get pregnant, you should not have the option to terminate your babys life just because you made a bad decision. There are plenty of people that are willing to adopt babies, and they will never get the chance to adopt if you abort your baby.  Because of the advancements in medicine and technology people can't use the lack of medical tools to keep themselves and their babies alive during delivery as an excuse. So abortion is wrong, and my mind will never change. 

• I think that abortion should be legal for the right reasons, if the mother is going to die or it is a kid, or if you were assaulted then I feel that it is okay to have an abortion, but I don't think that people should have an abortion just because. 

• I completely agree with you on this. If women do not want a baby they could just practice safe sex. Putting the mother's safety first in situations like this is top priority.

• I believe that every state should be able to decide wether they want to make abortion illegal or not. I think it should be illegal unless the mom's life is in risk or there is medical conditions in risk. I think people should be aware of what they do and deal with the consecuences. 

• Abortion is a very tough topic to make a decision on. My opinion, I don't like it, I think it's sad that people are willing to do such a thing. But then you also have to think, were they raped? Are they too young to have a baby? Are they unable to have a baby because of medical conditions? And if they're financially unstable, then they would bring a baby into this world that they can't support, making the baby suffer throughout their childhood. So the topic is very hard to make a final decision about.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker