Project Colossal; Animal Redemption

Maybe you’ve seen an ad here or there, heard a rumor or something of that sort about Project Colossal. Project Colossal is a bioengineering company that is using CRISPR technology to revive prehistoric animals for the benefit of today’s world. They do this by locating intact and well preserved specimens and extracting the DNA.  With that extraction being done, they have most of the genetic makeup that they need and are implanting a hybrid into a genetically similar species.

The top candidate is the Wooly Mammoth.  The Wooly Mammoth is being pursued to stop climate change and reverse it.  In theory, by introducing the Wooly Mammoth to the arctic plains (Canada, Russia, and Northern Europe) these behemoths will pack and keep the permafrost layer intact longer. 

Another candidate is the Tasmanian Tiger.  The names give it credit, but in actuality it is simply a marsupial in a wolf’s clothing, so to speak.  The Tasmanian Tiger will join the Dingos as an Apex predator.  This will reduce the population of herbivores and in theory will downsize the opportunities for wildfires in Australia because the forests will stay more lush and resist burning.

I personally think that seeing a Wooly Mammoth, something we’ve been dreaming of for decades would be great in real life. It’s kind of like the phrase “the sky’s the limit”, as the sky used to be limit before space travel. As we continue to learn and develop genetic modification, a couple questions come to mind: 

Do you think that this is ethical?

Do you think that this would be an effective way to decrease climate change?

Are there any animals you would want to see on the list?

link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• What would this hybrid be?  Would it be like smart hybrids that already exist like a Liger or a Tigon--animals that are already hybrid, or would it be a weird combination like a octolopotomus an octipus bred with a hippo.  I kind of think that the life cycle would be ok.  Caribu and other herbavores living in the northern regions would be fine but as far as Tasmanian tiger in Australia, I think that could go wrong more easily since there's already a predator already in Australia. 

• I'm not sure whether this is ethical or not, but I do think we should be using our technology on something more important than bringing these animals back. These animals have been extinct for a while so why do all the work to bring them back when they're most likely going to just go extinct again. I don't understand how this would decrease climate change, but you never know, maybe it will end up helping.

• I don't know if this is ethical or not. It could go either way. This could work but I think we should go for a way without bringing animals back . Also if we did go more into this technology you never know if someone will do a Jurassic Park and bring back a t-rex or something like that.

• I don't think T-Rex's would bring anything to the table conservation wise, just havic and mahem to an otherwise civilized world. I get your idea that this is a slippery slope of what to bring back and what not to bring back, but some animals just get cut off from neglect.Like the Dodo bird.  We brought dogs and pigs and rats to their habitat and since they didn't have predators up to that point it then wiped them out.

• I don't think that it is very ethical. I think that we should be using technology in ways such as creating cures for different diseases for those who need them more than others also I don't know if it would be an effective way to change climate change.

• Maybe we could do both.  While viruses and bacteria and all that stuff is dangerous and worrisome, so are other threats, such as climate change and species extinction.  I think this could be a divide and conquer dealio. Some people and their crowd interested in their study can focus on their study such as defeat climate change and bringing back animals, and others can defeat cancer and improve space travel.  I think just as everyone is different, I think we all should be able to choose how and when we use our sucess because we are all different.

• I think that CRISPR is an incredible thing and a very interesting way to create clones of pets and other animals. I do think that this is in fact ethical when it comes to almost extinct animals creating clones makes the population bigger. I am not sure if this could possibly decrease climate change but it would be very cool if it could. I think that any animal that is almost extinct would be very cool to see on the list.

• I like your optimstic approach.  

• I don't think that this very ethical. I think that we should be using our technology in better ways such as creating cures for different diseases for those who need them. To be honest, I don't really know if this would be an effective way to decrease climate change.

• We don't really know if it will work for climate change.  It is a hypothosis.  Solutions can come from absurd measures, kind of like metal being able to fly--a very heavy object soaring across the sky.  It might have seemed crazy at first but now somehow we've landed on the moon.  But solutions can be everywhere.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker