Project Colossal; Animal Redemption

Maybe you’ve seen an ad here or there, heard a rumor or something of that sort about Project Colossal. Project Colossal is a bioengineering company that is using CRISPR technology to revive prehistoric animals for the benefit of today’s world. They do this by locating intact and well preserved specimens and extracting the DNA.  With that extraction being done, they have most of the genetic makeup that they need and are implanting a hybrid into a genetically similar species.

The top candidate is the Wooly Mammoth.  The Wooly Mammoth is being pursued to stop climate change and reverse it.  In theory, by introducing the Wooly Mammoth to the arctic plains (Canada, Russia, and Northern Europe) these behemoths will pack and keep the permafrost layer intact longer. 

Another candidate is the Tasmanian Tiger.  The names give it credit, but in actuality it is simply a marsupial in a wolf’s clothing, so to speak.  The Tasmanian Tiger will join the Dingos as an Apex predator.  This will reduce the population of herbivores and in theory will downsize the opportunities for wildfires in Australia because the forests will stay more lush and resist burning.

I personally think that seeing a Wooly Mammoth, something we’ve been dreaming of for decades would be great in real life. It’s kind of like the phrase “the sky’s the limit”, as the sky used to be limit before space travel. As we continue to learn and develop genetic modification, a couple questions come to mind: 

Do you think that this is ethical?

Do you think that this would be an effective way to decrease climate change?

Are there any animals you would want to see on the list?

link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I am not completely sure if this is ethical, but it would be an incredible achievement nevertheless. I think the technology may better be used to revive dwindling species rather than bring back already extinct animals. I've heard that the woolly mammoth has been chosen to be revived as a symbol. Part of the woolly mammoth's extinction was due to over-hunting by humans. Reviving the species would be a symbol of us paying them back.

• I guess that makes sense.  At first I thought it was completely for the climate change thing, but I guess I can see some symbolism in it. 

• I don't think bringing back extinct animals is ethical. Humans should not be playing God. If Project Colossal is successful, what's going to stop someone from bringing back a dinosaur. What we should be doing is saving endangered animals from going extinct. That being said, I do think that it would be cool to see extinct animals alive again.

• I do agree there should be limits put on what species we revive and how things should play out. I don't know who should decide what or when.  Maybe we could have it be a minecraft mob vote and everyone decides.  There has to be a decent amount of thought put into how dangerous it could be.

• I do think this is ethical on some levels. This could definetly help the arctic and slow down the melting, but if they revive apex predators that have no rivals, ecosystems could be decimated. It would be an effective way to decrease climate change as these animals kept the earth lush, green, and cool millions of years ago. Animals I would want to see would be wooly mammoths and basliosauruses.

• Why on earth would you want a Moasaur but bigger and smarter? The basliosaurus is an Apex preditor. It would be an orca on steriods. No more ocean cruises, for me anyway!

• I don't know much about this but I don't think that it is ethical. It is definitely cool to be able to revive species but I think it could turn out bad and this species could end up damaging and harming the ones already here. I don't know if it would decrease climate change or not. 

• I think that this is something that should happen if we can bring back animals such as wooly Mammoths and they can help keep the artic from unfreezing then we should go for it also how cool would it be to say that I was alive when we brought back Wooly Mammoths. 

• I think this seems like a cool idea, but I don't know if it is really possible. I also doubt that it would help very much with climate change. Even if it doesn't do anything for climate change, it would still be cool to see a real life wooly mammoth, dodo bird, tasmanian devil, as well as other extinct animals.

• I personally believe that thier is not anything useful for humans but I do think that it would be really cool to look at creatures from however long ago. I also think that it will just lead to more companys taking advanges of technologe and making money out of it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker