President Biden announced October 6th that he would grant mass pardons for anyone convicted of a federal crime for simple possession of marijuana also known as cannabis. The president also announced his administration would expedite a review of whether marijuana should continue to be listed as a Schedule I substance, a classification that also applies to heroin, LSD, and ecstasy. Many people have talked about the legalization in marijuana and this is a big step for many people. 

Biden's pardon only impacts a majority of these people in prison. They are not to have any other reason to be in prison other than the fact they had possession of marijuana. The article below states that the White House estimates that about 6,500 people nationwide have federal convictions for simple possession of marijuana on their records since 1992. (this will also apply to people before 1992 but they don’t have data that long ago) Many individuals have asked if this would expunge the sentence in criminal records. The answer is no. A pardon only means forgiveness of a crime, it doesn't mean that someone is considered innocent, or that a conviction will be erased from their records.

In an article below it states using marijuana causes impaired thinking and interferes with a person’s ability to learn and perform complicated tasks. THC also disrupts functioning of the cerebellum and basal ganglia, brain areas that regulate balance, posture, coordination, and reaction time. This will affect how people drive and such. Although marijuana is not legalized in all states it is in some (38 states). Even though it can be bad it could also be very helpful. Things it helps with is epilepsy, certain cancers, glaucoma, and many different pains.

In my opinion I think that it is fair that people be set out of prison for possession of marijuana. In addition to bidens pardon I feel marijuana should be legalized in certain situations or to a certain point. It is shown that marijuana is safer than alcohol and cigarettes so why are these things legal but not marijuana. 

QUESTIONS

What do you think about Biden's Pardon?

What do you think about marijuana and do you think it should be legalized in all states?

SOURCES

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/10/07/pardon-marijuana-possession-decriminalization/ 

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/how-does-marijuana-produce-its-effects#:~:text=As%20a%20result%2C%20using%20marijuana,%2C%20coordination%2C%20and%20reaction%20time

https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/cannabis-marijuana-and-cannabinoids-what-you-need-to-know#:~:text=Are%20cannabis%20or%20cannabinoids%20helpful,loss%20associated%20with%20HIV%2FAIDS.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I can also see both sides of legalizing it but I lean more towards legalizing marijuana because it is safer than cigarettes and alcohol and those two things are legal.

• I personally think that it is not the best idea. If people live in a state that has made marijuana illegal, and people can just own it and not get in trouble, then there will obviously be trouble. I think it can be very dangerous, and I think that, because we are now planning on making it legal, just like achohol and cigarettes, younger generations will want to have it, try it, could posssibly get addicted to it, and could possibly die. 

• I feel if we take away cigarettes and use marijuana it would be better because cigarettes are worse than marijuana due to all of it's extra additives. I don't fully agree with the fact of marijuana but if it's better than alcohol and cigarettes then why isn't it legal?

• I personally am not interested in marijuana or have ever felt the need to use it, but I know others who use it to sleep better and take away pain. It doesn't seem fair that people can use way more addictive things like alcohol or tobacco without getting in trouble. If marijuana is illegal then alcohol should be too. you can die from drinking too much alcohol but people very rarely die from smoking too much weed. Although it might permanently mess up parts of your body it won't be able to kill you without help from another object or substance.

• I agree that if marijuana is illegal then alcohol should be too because alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana. 

• I perosnally dont think that marijuana should be legalized because of how bad it is for people and what it can make people do. I do think that legal marijana used for medical reasons shouold be legalized but with stricter guidlines so not everybody can get it. 

• I see where you come from where it is bad for people but its sientifically proven that cigarettes and alcohol are way more addicting and bad than marijuana. But I do agree that it should be legal in certain ways.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker