Ohio Train Derailment

Ohio Train Derailment

On February 3, 2023, a train in East Palestine, Ohio derailed with toxic chemicals and materials. This is a serious problem that is going to be hard to fix. People from around the area are being asked to evacuate. There has been reports it is in small creeks and streams. The accident, which resulted in no injuries or fatalities, is under investigation. The Environmental Protection Agency and the National Transportation Safety Board has had several lawsuits filed since Feb. 7. The train derailed because of a rail car axle failed from a mechanical defect.

The derailment damaged about 50 carts, 11 of which contained hazardous materials. Five carts contained vinyl chloride, a known carcinogen, which safety crews vented and burned to prevent an explosion. Around 3,500 fish died in creeks near the accident. Killing wildlife is very dangerous for our ecosystem. Taking away wildlife is hazardous to us also. Not having drinking water is a very serious problem.

After the train derailed on Feb. 3, a fire broke out and about 50 of the 150 cars were derailed or damaged. The NTSB (The National Transportation Safety Board) said that the train’s crew members received an alarm indicating a mechanical issue before an emergency brake went on. I personally think this was an accident from the bus driver. I think the rails were old and messed up. Ohio hasn't been the only place where there has been a train derailment. In Arizona there has been one with toxic materials also.

Do you think this is a serious problem and why?

Would you evacuate your town if this happened?

Source(s) : https://www.usatoday.com/story/graphics/2023/02/17/train-derailment-ohio-explained-graphics/11251530002/ : https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/ohio-train-derailment-chernobyl.html : https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/02/15/ohio-train-derailment-toxic-chemicals/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that this is a problem and I also think that it could have been a set up. There was a movie called WHITE NOISE released in August, 2022 and in it, there was train that derailed in East Palistine Ohio. THAT IS THE SAME TOWN IN WHICH THE REAL DERAILMENT HAPPENED A FEW MONTHS LATER! This is either a circumstance in which someone watched the movie and got the idea to do it for real, or the goverment planned the derailment and made the movie as a way to warn us. I don't know why the government would want this, but they seem to hide a lot of things behind their backs and don't let the public in on whats going on. I would evacuate the town if this happened because acid rain is very harmful.

• Yeah I heard about that movie. It is such a strange coincindince. People don't think much of it, and think it would never happen. The movie ties in very well about what happened and how such a bad mistake can harm a small town.

• Yes this is a big problem we need to get it all cleanned up with no harmful issues, they have not found any dead yet, but they need to pick their pace incase they do end up finding one who has a little bit of a hope left, So yes this is very very sad and hopefully not many dead at the bottom of this.

• Yeah I totally agree with you. It would be kind of nice if our president can step it up and help them out. He seems to be more focused on other countries such as Ukraine other then our problems over here.

• Yes, I definitely think it is a serious problem because you don't have water and need it daily for almost everything. It could also get into the air and get you sick. I would probably evacuate my town for a while. It could be serious harm to people and it already is killing animals. 

• I think it is a serious problem because of all the toxicity in the water and in the air. Hopefully, the toxic waste doesn't get into a big river or even the ocean. I think I would make it you choose to evacuate if you felt safe or not.

• Yeah obviously water is the root of life and not having that is crucial. I can't imagine if this gets worse for other towns surrounding East Palestine. I would evacuate too. I'd just rather be safe then sorry.

• This is definitely a serious problem. Who knows the long term affects on those who have been in the area. The area could be dangerous to be in for some time. I would most defintely evacuate my town because I wouldn't want to be affected by the chemicals.

• Yeah I agree with you because this is very harmful for humans. Evacuation is probally the best idea because it's the safest. Breathing in the toxicity waste must be horrible for there lungs and immune system.

• I do think it's a serious problem because you don't have water and we use water for everything. If animals are getting killed and stuff then they need to try and prevent it. I would pry leave my town because I wouldn't even wanna deal with it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker