Mississippi Tornados

In Rolling Fork Mississippi there was a horrible tornado that killed 25 people. This tornado was an EF4 and it touched down in Mississippi on 3/24/23. Many people won't be able to recover from this disaster. This small town had a population of 2,000 people, fields of beans and rice surrounded it. Many of these people that live in this town are very poor and live in mobile homes. 

Many families' homes were directly hit by the tornado, making it almost impossible to survive. One family had to tuck their 4-year-old child under a mattress they would've gone to the bathroom but the mother remembered that there was a massive tree on that side of the house. Luckily they moved because that tree did end up falling on this house. Many people are wondering why this tornado was so big and so dangerous. 

The name for this very destructive tornado is called a long-track tornado, these tornados don't happen often. This specific tornado started in Rolling fork went to Jackson Mississippi and then continued to Silver City it was on the ground for more than an hour. The maximum winds were 170 mph, which is one of the deadliest tornados in the state of Mississippi. After it was off the ground in Silver City another tornado formed in Blackhawk and went to Winona Mississippi. The winds for that one were 155 mph. The average speed of tornados is 30 mph, I think it's so crazy that these tornados in Mississippi were 170 and 155 mph.

What kind of things would you do to help these people? 

Would you travel down to Mississippi to help the people in need? 

What kind of things do you think you would need after something like this happens?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/03/26/why-mississippi-tornado-size-was-rare/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/26/rolling-fork-mississippi-tornado-damage/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that a lot of people should step up and help them and the government should be one of them but closer towns should be doing that too. 

• I think the people in need should get donations of food, cloths, and money to rebuild. I wouldnt travle to misssissippi becasue it is a long way to drive when you dont know anyone. They will need food shelters and help from local towns.

• I think that what these people need is donations of supplies like money, food, clothes. I would not personally travel down to Mississippi to help those people because I am sixteen years old and have my own life to worry about. I think that the most important thing after something like this shelter.

• I would donate food, supplies, and needs that the people need. I would travel down to help the people if I needed to and if it would make a great impact. I think I would need financial help and if anything bad happened to be i would need medical help. 

• I agree I think that traveling to Mississippi would help them a lot. People believe that they only need food, money, and supplies, but a lot of cleaning needs to be done.  

• I believe that donating money, food, and supplies, would be a great way to help these people in Mississippi. I most likey would not travel to Mississippi but I were older, I would donate money. I think that family is a big part getting through something like this.

• I think that the government should definitely step in and help these Mississippi people. I think that there are people that have gone down there and helped but I don't know how much you can help if people don't have homes, food, or even some of there family.

• If I was older and had money I would donate money to families so they can rebuild. I would also travel to mississippi to help hebuild and clean up if I was older and didnt have a lot going on. If this would happen to me I would was everything to go back to normal as soon as possible. 

• I would not travel to Mississippi to help the people in need, not saying Im cold hearted, im saying that they have pleanty of help to get back cleaned up and on their own feet again. You need shelter and clothing with food to start back up again and make a life once again.

• Personally, I would try to travel to Mississippi because in order to get those things, they need money and I understand you could donate but I feel that it would be a lot more heartfelt to see them in person, they also need help with cleaning up the mess that the tornado made. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker