Mississippi Tornados

In Rolling Fork Mississippi there was a horrible tornado that killed 25 people. This tornado was an EF4 and it touched down in Mississippi on 3/24/23. Many people won't be able to recover from this disaster. This small town had a population of 2,000 people, fields of beans and rice surrounded it. Many of these people that live in this town are very poor and live in mobile homes. 

Many families' homes were directly hit by the tornado, making it almost impossible to survive. One family had to tuck their 4-year-old child under a mattress they would've gone to the bathroom but the mother remembered that there was a massive tree on that side of the house. Luckily they moved because that tree did end up falling on this house. Many people are wondering why this tornado was so big and so dangerous. 

The name for this very destructive tornado is called a long-track tornado, these tornados don't happen often. This specific tornado started in Rolling fork went to Jackson Mississippi and then continued to Silver City it was on the ground for more than an hour. The maximum winds were 170 mph, which is one of the deadliest tornados in the state of Mississippi. After it was off the ground in Silver City another tornado formed in Blackhawk and went to Winona Mississippi. The winds for that one were 155 mph. The average speed of tornados is 30 mph, I think it's so crazy that these tornados in Mississippi were 170 and 155 mph.

What kind of things would you do to help these people? 

Would you travel down to Mississippi to help the people in need? 

What kind of things do you think you would need after something like this happens?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/03/26/why-mississippi-tornado-size-was-rare/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/03/26/rolling-fork-mississippi-tornado-damage/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

•  

There aren’t a lot of ways that you can help the people who were hit hard by this tornado, but one of the things that I can do to help provides a place to live until they can get back on their feet. We could also provide food, water, and clothing for them to eat while they are struggling to purchase these items. Yes, I would 100% go down to Mississippi because that is what I would want them to do if that happened to me and my town. Some of the things that you would need are food, water, and shelter all things that many people have probably lost due to this tornado.

• I would definitely go down to help these people if I could. I would help make sure that everyone has a place to stay before they can get back on their feet, and just enough stuff to take care of themselves until then. I think we could also start a fundraiser towards getting these people safe. 

• I agree the people that are there need a lot of help right now anything we do could help.

• I think that donating money is the easiest nad best way to help them because they need to rebuild a lot of things. I don't think I would travel to Missisipi to help peoplpe in need because it is far away and I wouldn't know what to do to help. I think money, food and shelter are the most important things people need when this happens. 

• I would help by donating money, help cleaning up or restoring their things, and making sure they have basic necessities to live. Personally, I would not drive because it would be a long drive, and there are places closer to help people. If I was in a tornado, I would make sure to stock up on food and necessities beforehand just incase I lose my house and belongings.

• I would also help by donating money since we are teenagers that really the only thing we could do. But I would travel down there if I could. 

• I think any type of donations would help. This is sort of a rare accident that mother nature created. I wouldn't mind helping clean up the mess it made. Tornadoes are pretty common in the Midwest, but in the southern states it is rare. I would need shelter and food.

• I would donate food and clothing and I think people should start some fundraising for those people. I would not travel down there unless I knew the people. I think the government and local people really need to step in and help.

• I also think the government should step in and help these people. The locals are helping each other but the government would help a lot more. 

• I would donate the things people need. We should be giving people food. Also towns should start helping out more. Good topic. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker