Legal drinking age

Forum post 

The legal age to drink is 21. In 1984 they changed the legal age to drink from 18 to 21. I believe that it should be lowered back to 18. In the United States you are considered a legal adult at 18years old, you can vote, join the military, are expected to pay your own bills but you can't drink. I believe that if you are considered an adult at 18 you should be able to have a drink. 

In many other countries such as Austria, Belgium, and Denmark the legal drinking age is 16 and in Columbia, Australia, and Costa Rica the legal drinking age is 18. Most other countries have their legal drinking age lower because that is when a person is considered to be an adult. Yes in a sense lowering the legal drinking age could be risky considering drunk driving and other things but either way most 18 thru 21 year old already drink so ultimately it's up to the person if they choose to drink and drive.So I believe that is the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18 because that's when you are no longer considered a child.

1. Do you think the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18? 
  2. Do you know anyone that is under the age of 21 that has drank before?

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/minimum-legal-drinking-age.htm#:~:text=The%20MLDA%20in%20the%20United,varied%20from%20state%20to%20state.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the age should be lowered to 19-20 because it's not 3 years from when you graduate but it's still a cautious thing. When you go to college or even in high school kids are gonna drink whether theres a age limit or not. 

• I belive that the legal drinking age should be lowered to 19-20 when you are out of high school and on your own. For example when people get to college they start to do things on their own. They should be old enough to make their own dissions on what they can and can't do for example drink. 

• I think that the legal drinking age for 18 wouldn't be bad. If 18 year old are old enought to take care of a child and reconized as an adult then thye should be able to drink. 

• I think the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18. At 18 you are considered to be an adult, you can fight in a war, buy a car, buy a house, etc. If you can do all of those things like adults do you should be able to legally drink. On the other hand, this could cause more cases of drunk driving and other harmful things related to alcohol. 

• I think the legal drinking age should be lowered since when you turn 18 you are then a legal adult. At 18, you can do many things like buying a house, or a car, voting, buying a lottery ticket, etc. However, alcohol can be very harmful if consumed in large quantities. There are over 10,000 deaths in a year due to drinking and driving. I also think that changing the age wouldn't really affect anyone since many many people in college throw parties and drink.  

• I think that the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18 mostly because Brayton is right most 18-year-olds or even younger already drink. It also could be risky considering drunk driving, but it also has a lot to do with choice and responsibility. I do know some people who were underage that have drunk alcohol and most of them are very responsible when it comes to drinking.

• I think the legal drinking age should stay at 21 because people who are 18 don't have fully devolped brains yet.  Also, when you drink you don't make very good decisions which can lead to more drinking and driving accidents.  No, I don't know any one who has drank under the age of 21.

• In my opinion drinking should be lowered to 18 years old. If you can own a gun or join the army then you should be able to drink a beer. I don't know anyone that has specifically drinks before 21 but I am sure there is a lot of poeple that do it. 

• The drinking age should not be lowered, the effects that alcohol has on someones mind who isn't fully developed (mind you that age is 25 or higher) can have lasting effects on them. So no, lowering it to 18 wouldn't do any good for anyone. However, if we were to lower it, there could potentially be a limit for anyone between 18-20, so you could still drink and purchase it but you would be limited on how much you could purchase.

• I agree that the age should be lowered. If you are able to become a working adult and are able to buy a house or a car at 18, it just makes sense that you should be able to consume and buy alcohol. At the age of 18 many people feel free from their parents and find some way to drink anyways. Maybe by lowering the age limit then they could build a tolerance and get over their "party stage" and move on with their lives.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker