Landfill in the United States.

This disscussion has been a long topic for about 5,000 years! We have to deal with trash surrounding us when we go outdoors or even in the ocean. There are local dumps in a lot of countrys but we still dont throw away our trash. There are hills and heaps full of trash around the world and like I said before its getting in the ocean and killing animals cause they either eat the plastic or it can choke them. So by having landfills not near the ocean then it probably won't happen as much as it already does. 

Basically every town has a garbage man, but where do they bring your trash? When landfills are in town and nearby they will take it there and the people there create a landfill full of trash to get rid of. They bury it into the ground with soil or sludge. But some companys get there landfill and put it in a nearby river or sometimes lakes and then that trash can flow to the ocean and kill more animlas.  But did you know that in 2016 there was an estimated answer of 2.7 million metric tons of plastic waste in the ocean. 

Many people belive that landfills are okay for the enviroment because it keeps the trash in one place rather than scattered. More cities, and towns are starting to add more trash cans to their public areas. Also adding dumpsters around the town like in allys would help too. But if there arnt lots of trash cans people will tend to litter, and thats why trash gets to the ocean. 

If we keep littering our trash will hurt the earth and it wont be good. It would pollute the neighborhoods, down size property values, also it will destroy the city' s natural beauty. So basically it would kill the earth. So if we just throw away or trash rather than litter it would make our planet better, and landfills should not dump the trash into the ocean but also should not bury it in soil cause it pollutes the plants and could burn and explode even! Because trash contains methane gas and methane gas presents a hazard which can cause an explosion. 

Sources 

Source 1 

Source 2 

Source 3 

Source 4 

Questions: 

1. What do you think would happen if we stopped dumping our trash in unwanted places? 

2.  If we could not dump our landfill into the ocean what would be a good alternative? 

3. Should the U.S ban littering and make more trash cans? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If we stopped dumping our trash in unwanted places, where would it go? There isn't a good alternative of where to dump trash. So we as a society should just try to be more eco-friendly. I think that the U.S. already kind of has banned littering. If someone catches you littering you could potentially have to pay a fine.

• I agree, yes they have already kind of banned littering but they dont do much when you litter on the ground, but they do when you litter 100 feet away from a body of water! Also I like how you said we should just be more eco-friendly because there arn't much options to dump our trash at other then dump in the ocean, or bury it. 

• Dumping trash in unwanted places causes a lot of environmental problems. We should dump landfill into places where it can be burned, or used to make new materials. I think the U.S. should probably be more strict on littering and maybe have businesses that clean around cities and the environment.

• If we stop dumping our trash in unwanted places it is going to be very effective towards the environment and help it. A good alternative is recycling bins, and trash cans, just throw something in some type of recycling or trash bin and not in the ocean or somewhere unwanted. 

• I agree with you because if we use more trash cans and recylce bins it would probably help our enviroment a lot more. But where would we put the trash? cause if we just put it in the ocean like landfills already do then that would not help. 

• Every state in the U.S. has some sort of littering laws, so if they increase the punishment or enforce it more often, it might be more effective and help the environment. Many places also have recycling bins,  if we continue making improvements, we could end up recycling almost everything we use. Then landfills wouldn't be as bad as they are today. 

• I agree because the more trash cans or recycle bins we use the more trash wouldnt be littered or anywhere it is not supposed to be. Also every state does have some type of laws against littering but do they dont do much about it. Yes the city does clean around the town but not quite often as they should. 

• I think if we got rid of our trash in designated places, we would have so much less of an issue with polluting the Earth. I don't know what we could do with our lanfills, but I don't think we should continue dumpong them into the ocean. I think the U.S. should ban littering and set out more trash cans, but I don't think that this would completely solve our problems because the waste in the trash cans would still need a place to go. 

• I believe that dumping landfill into oceans is horrible and is getting way out of hand but I can not come up with any other alternitive. I think the U.S. should definitely be more strict when it comes to littering and should try to come up with a solution whether its making more trash cans or something else.

• If we stopped dumping our trash in unwanted places it wouldn't matter because it is still going to places that we don't want it at because the trash has to go somewhere. I don't know any good alternative ways for trash to be safely placed somewhere and not affect the world. I think they should ban littering but people wouldn't obey the law so it's best that they leave it unbanned.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker