Is the Earth flat?

How did the theory of the flat earth start?

As most people know, when you stand on the ground and look around, you can’t tell that the Earth is round and looks very flat instead. In order to see the curved horizon, you have to be at least 35,000 ft above the ground. Obviously, this takes advanced technology to accomplish, so for a very long time, people could not see that the Earth had a curve and just thought it was flat. Many ancient philosophers perceived the Earth to be a flat disk floating in the ocean.

Flat Earth Society

Although we have made discoveries and have had technological advances that prove the Earth is round, many people still seem to be infatuated with the idea of the Earth being flat. In the 1830s, the concept of the flat earth was reinstated by a commune in Britain, led by Samuel Birley Rowbotham. This was in response to the scientific progress being made. In the 1950s, the Flat Earth Society was created. The group was based in Britain with around 4,000 members. When social media became popular and started to have a great influence, the organization relaunched itself worldwide in October 2009. 

This group has many similar beliefs to the philosophers before they were able to see that the Earth was round. They believe that the Sun and the Moon are about 51 miles in diameter and circle around the flat disk about 3,147 miles away. Some believe that Antarctica spreads infinitely across the world, and some refuse to believe the conventional laws of gravity and instead believe that the flat Earth accelerates upwards and creates the illusion of gravity.

I don’t think the Earth is flat. I don’t know exactly why people choose to believe their theories versus scientific facts, proof, and evidence. I think they might just want to go against society, disagree for attention or entertainment, or they just genuinely think the Earth is flat. I think the scientific evidence is trustworthy and there is no way that the Earth is flat.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Do you think the Earth is flat?

Why do you think some people think the Earth is flat?

What are some ideas/conspiracies you have heard about the flat earth?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, the way the world works doesn't add up with the flat earth theory. There's no way gravity and everything would be the same if the Earth was flat. There is so much science and other evidence to back this up that it really is stupid that people believe this.

• I don't think the earth is flat because people have been to the moon and there are photos from space. A flat earth also wouldn't make sense knowing that we could fall off the earth. I think people think it's flat so that they could make a huge statement which leads to them making money.

• I agree, the moon landing was definitely a huge event that also further proved that the earth is round. Unfortunately, people just say that is fake too. I will never understand why people like to disagree with everything and what they could get out of it.

• I do not think the Earth is flat because there is a lot of evidence showing that the Earth is round instead of flat. I think people think the Earth is flat because they don't fully believe in the government. An idea/conspiracy about the flat earth is that Earth has a dome on top of Earth. 

• I do not think the earth if flat and it is mind blowing to me that some people do, I believe there is too much evidence and common sense that should win agiasnt this. I know some people think that the pictures are fake or editted and thats a big reason some people believe it, Ive heard a lot of different conspicarcies about this, I used to watch videos about it lot because it was a very interesting topic to me to see how people veiw the world differently. 

• I dont think the Earth is flat, there are pictures of the Earth from space provided by NASSA. I'm not sure why some people think the Earth. And if the earth was flat we if we kept walking we would eventually fall off it.  

• I agree, as everyone knows NASA is a very good and reliable company and I don't get how people could think pictures that came straight from them could be fake. NASA is also a mutlimillion dollar association so it's not like they need to fake it for money.

• I do not believe the earth is flat and believe that people who do think the earth is flat do it to simply get the attention of others. I don't think that there is any way the earth is flat when hills, mountains, and not to mention the ocean exist in our world. 

• I agree, I think most people who say they think the Earth is flat are doing it to gain attention from other people. It just doesn't make sense for the earth to be flat because of how gravity would would with oceans and mountains and other things like that.

• No, i do not think that the Earth is flat. If it was flat then you would think you be able to see more . Some people think the Earth is flat becuase they don't have any trust with what people are saying. I heard eminem was a flat earther.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker