Is the death penalty sometimes justified?

America first started using the death penalty when European settlers came to the new world. They brought the practice of capital punishment. The first recorded execution in the new colonies was Captain George Kendall in Jamestown, 1608. He got the penalty for spying and trying to kill John Smith, the president of Jamestown. In 1972, the supreme court of the U.S. decided it was unconstitutional and they struck down capital punishment in Furman v. Georgia, reducing all pending death sentences to life imprisonment at the time. In most states, the death penalty was not reinstated until 1988.

In 24 states, the death penalty is still active. On average, 26.3 people have been executed annually since 2000. Overall, executions are on the decline. In 2000, 85 inmates were executed across the country; in 2020, only 17. 

In my opinion, the death penalty can be justified. People can be very cruel and there's definitely crimes, like mass murders, that deserve the death penalty. I think because 24 states still have it to prove the death penalty  can be justified.

1) Do you think the death penalty can be justified?

2) What crimes do you think would have to be done do get the death penalty?

3) If you could get rid of the death penalty completely, would you? 

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/ 

https://www.crf-usa.org/images/pdf/HistoryoftheDeathPenaltyinAmerica.pdf 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the death penalty can be justified because sometimes jail just doesn't cut it, but i aslo think that in some cases it isin't. all in all i guess it just depends on the situation.

• I agree, it really depends on the situation. Some crimes are to cruel for jail. 

• I think the death penalty is justifiable in some certain situations and depending on how bad the crime was. But I think being on death row for the rest of your life is a worse punishment than the death penalty in my opinion. 

• I don't think that the death penalty is justified. I think some crimes like murder and hate crimes deserve it. It is justified to take care of the terrible things that happen in this world. 

• I agree, crimes like muder deserve the dealth penalty. I also agree its because of the terrible things that happen. 

• I don't think that the death penalty is justified. Just because people did very bad crimes, doesn't mean that they deserve to be killed. It also impacts the family of the person who is going to be killed. I think that prison is a better "punishment".

• I think that the death penalty is justified for some crimes. I believe that murders or hate crimes deserve the death penalty. It is justified to take care of evil people that do terrible things. People who may get the death penalty should definetly be proven guilty first.

• I agree, they need to be 100% certain the person is guilty before they can give them the dealth penalty. 

• Yes I think that it justified almost all the time. I think if the family that was affected by a person on death row they should be killed. I think everyone that wants them dead should have the police take them all to a statuim. I think you should put them all on metal bleachers and shoke it and take them out. 

• I would have to agree with that fact that the death penalty, is changed depending on the person and what they have done. If I  was in prison I would want to deal with the death penalty rather than having to spend the rest of my life in prison, and can't do anything anyway. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker