Is Snapchat My AI useful?

In the last week, Snapchat has added a new chatbot feature that is available to all users. Initially, this chatbot feature was only available to those who are subscribed to Snapchat Plus and came out a couple of months ago. The chatbot, officially called “My AI” by Snapchat, appears in Snapchat users chat feeds and is available to chat or answer questions 24/7 after agreeing to the terms and conditions. My AI is powered by the latest version of ChatGPT and is very similar to ChatGPT with the way it works. Although, My AI does have more filtered responses than Chat GPT, and will not answer any inappropriate questions or engage in any inappropriate conversations. 

One of the main concerns with this new feature is that My AI may make cheating on schoolwork easier and more accessible to students. It would also be harder for schools to manage as My AI is a part of Snapchat and not its own program. However, Snapchat would argue that My AI was designed to be more of a persona than an answer machine. Although, My AI does still have the ability to generate answers or any writing as long as it has the proper instructions to do so. 

Why did Snapchat add My AI? Snapchat describes their new AI technology as a “friendly chatbot” that was created to answer users, “burning trivia questions, offer advice on the perfect gift for your BFF’s birthday, help plan a hiking trip for a long weekend, or suggest what to make for dinner.” Snapchat has stated that “just like real friends”, the responses from the chatbot will become more relevant, the more interactions there are. Evan Spiegel, Snapchat’s CEO, predicts that in the future speaking to AI will just become a normal thing in day-to-day life. “The big idea is that in addition to talking to our friends and family every day, we’re going to talk to AI every day,” he stated. “And this is something we’re well positioned to do as a messaging service.” 

In my opinion, I do not see much of a point in having My AI on my phone, and I will probably get rid of it soon. I think it is strange how Snapchat has tried to design it to be  basically like another friend and coded it to respond like a real person. It is also weird how it supposedly will develop its own persona overtime based on what has been said to it. 

Do you think My AI is useful? If so, what would you use it for?

How do you feel about Artificial Intelligence progressing in the future and becoming more prominent in day-to-day life? 

https://www.analyticsvidhya.com/blog/2023/04/snapchat-brings-my-ai-chatbot-to-all-users-enhances-features/#:~:text=Snapchat%20users%20were%20notified%20on,stored%20in%20the%20app's%20database.

https://help.snapchat.com/hc/en-us/articles/13266788358932-What-is-My-AI-on-Snapchat-and-how-do-I-use-it-

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that for the most part, My AI isn't useful. I haven't used it for anything, but saying stupid things to it. I don't know if I agree with artificial intelligence because it could get too advanced and start doing things we don't want it to do. I think that it could be a good but dangerous thing.

• I think that AI could be useful but not just on the phone but with more work place. Also i think having an AI is weird to talk to and also it is learning about you it is just weird. But in the future I think AI could be handy and it could perform jobs that humans don't want to do. Also AI is coming around more often and I think it will continue to do so.

• I agree, how Snapchat describes that My AI is capable of learning things about who is talking to it is strange. 

• I do not think that it is useful, and I dont use My AI I have just herd of it. I think that it could be a big problem in the word if AI keep getting more enteligent in the world. I think that it is just like self driving cars, It is cool but can cause a big problem.

• I don't think it is useful. I think it is creepy and we can’t use it to benefit us. Even if kids don't have their location on the chatbot it seems to know where you live. It's also very annoying because you have it pinned at the top of your snap. I just feel like it knows everything about you.

• I dont think that ai is usefull it is very creepy and should not be able to do the things that it does it can do some pretty weird stuff and it will just answer questions that you don't even ask it sometimes 

• I think the My AI thing is weird, sometimes it will answer questions its not supposed to answer. It doesn't really make sense why snapchat made it a thing, I dont get the point of it. Yes you can ask it questions for information but you can use google anways.

• I do not think that the AI is useful. I think it is much easier to look something up then ask the AI. I think there should be an option to accept it, or to at least get rid of it. I think it is very creepy especially how much they know without telling them. I hope Snapchat gets rid of it very soon.

• I don't really think that my AI is useful. I think I would probably google something before I ask it. I think that my AI is kind of weird and creepy because its supposed to respond like a person but its a computer. I think that AI will be more common in the future. 

• I agree, if I had something I had to look up, I would not even think about going to My AI. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker