Is Snapchat My AI useful?

In the last week, Snapchat has added a new chatbot feature that is available to all users. Initially, this chatbot feature was only available to those who are subscribed to Snapchat Plus and came out a couple of months ago. The chatbot, officially called “My AI” by Snapchat, appears in Snapchat users chat feeds and is available to chat or answer questions 24/7 after agreeing to the terms and conditions. My AI is powered by the latest version of ChatGPT and is very similar to ChatGPT with the way it works. Although, My AI does have more filtered responses than Chat GPT, and will not answer any inappropriate questions or engage in any inappropriate conversations. 

One of the main concerns with this new feature is that My AI may make cheating on schoolwork easier and more accessible to students. It would also be harder for schools to manage as My AI is a part of Snapchat and not its own program. However, Snapchat would argue that My AI was designed to be more of a persona than an answer machine. Although, My AI does still have the ability to generate answers or any writing as long as it has the proper instructions to do so. 

Why did Snapchat add My AI? Snapchat describes their new AI technology as a “friendly chatbot” that was created to answer users, “burning trivia questions, offer advice on the perfect gift for your BFF’s birthday, help plan a hiking trip for a long weekend, or suggest what to make for dinner.” Snapchat has stated that “just like real friends”, the responses from the chatbot will become more relevant, the more interactions there are. Evan Spiegel, Snapchat’s CEO, predicts that in the future speaking to AI will just become a normal thing in day-to-day life. “The big idea is that in addition to talking to our friends and family every day, we’re going to talk to AI every day,” he stated. “And this is something we’re well positioned to do as a messaging service.” 

In my opinion, I do not see much of a point in having My AI on my phone, and I will probably get rid of it soon. I think it is strange how Snapchat has tried to design it to be  basically like another friend and coded it to respond like a real person. It is also weird how it supposedly will develop its own persona overtime based on what has been said to it. 

Do you think My AI is useful? If so, what would you use it for?

How do you feel about Artificial Intelligence progressing in the future and becoming more prominent in day-to-day life? 

https://www.analyticsvidhya.com/blog/2023/04/snapchat-brings-my-ai-chatbot-to-all-users-enhances-features/#:~:text=Snapchat%20users%20were%20notified%20on,stored%20in%20the%20app's%20database.

https://help.snapchat.com/hc/en-us/articles/13266788358932-What-is-My-AI-on-Snapchat-and-how-do-I-use-it-

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think AI is very weird and creepy. I think snapchat should delete it off completely because the AI has too much information. I think AI has definitely been on the rise lately because of our latest technology etc. 

• I agree that AI is very strange, but I'm not so concerned about the information it may gather since Snapchat already has a lot of information on its users. 

• I dont think my AI is usfull becasue I never use it and its not like you are taling to anyone. I dont know what anyone would use it for. perosnally I have never used it. I think AI is gong to elvove in everones day to day life if we want it or not.

• I don't think that the My AI is useful at all. I have it and it's more annoying than helpful. I find it strange how it can identify places and objects when you send it a snap. I don't understand why some people are freaking out over it though when Snapchat already has your location.

• I agree, I'm not so concerned with what information it gathers from people speaking to it since Snapchat already a lot of info on its users. I just don't see the point in it right now.

• I don't think it is very useful. I find it very creepy and we already have the internet. Even if kids don't have their location on the chatbot seems to know where you live. It's also very annoying having it pinned at the top of your screen.

• I agree and also don't think that My AI is needed. 

• I have used AI on Snapchat a few times and it's been very useful for those few times I have used it. It's just mindblowing how quickly they/it responds to your messages. It is pretty annoying that it is at the top of your Snapchat lists and can't get it off, although I did find a way to move it to the bottom. I don't think that we should all depend on this AI though and get too addicted. 

• I agree, I don't think we should ever become dependent on AI. 

• I have yet to find anyone that has an actual use for the Snapchat AI. I personally don't have it but I've heard from others that it is creepy and dumb. I feel that as AI progresses the more dumber people will become because they won't have to be smart anymore.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker