Schools are required by state law to have annual drills in emergency situations. On March 4, 1908, the Lake View school in Collinwood, Ohio caught ablaze due to a furnace overheating. The teachers and staff remained calm and let the students talk among themselves as they exited. This was the worst school fire in history taking 172 students, 2 teachers, and 1 rescuer. Ever since then schools and other public buildings have been finding safer and easier ways to exit the building. Now schools teach their students that walking in a single file line and staying quiet is the best way out of the situation. Is this the best way though?

In case of a fire students are supposed to be quiet and listen to the teacher’s instructions. Line up at the door in a single file manner. Quietly walk outside the building until reaching a safe area. As well as in a tornado situation. It is taught to walk quietly to the designated area in the school.

I think that lining up in a single file line in a fire/tornado situation is a good way to get out of the school in a fire or get to a safe place. I think this because it allows the teachers and school staff to get everyone out safe. I also think that staying quiet really helps get everyone out of the situation much quicker than not. At first I thought that lining up was just a waste of valuable time but now it makes sense to me.

What do you think about walking in a single file line during an emergency?

Would you change the way the school has it now?

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/collinwood-disaster-fire-safety 

https://www.wikihow.com/React-to-a-Fire-Alarm-at-School-(Kids) 

https://emergency.vt.edu/ready/guides/building-fire/building-fireduring.html#:~:text=Never%20take%20an%20elevator%20when,and%20report%20where%20you%20are.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it might help in some situations. It's an organized way to keep track of students and make sure they're safe. A lot of kids might panic so this would be a good way to try and settle them down so they are safer.

• I think it could help in some situations. For example, if there is a tornado I think they should walk in a straight line to the shelter so people don't get lost. But if there is a fire I don't think that single file lines are the best situation. I think that everyone should just hurry and get out and walking in a straight line could prevent escaping quickly. 

• I agree that in some situations especially during a tornado insident that everyone should calmly walk to a safe shelter. I aslo think that if a student is on the opposite side of the school from the fire they should quietly walk to the exit.

• I think it can help. If there was ever a tornado it would help you get from one distance to another. In my opinion if there was a school shooter I think single file line wouldn't benefit anything. People would be too frighten or scared.

• I think walking in a single file line during emergency isnt very smart. Because, I think it slows the kids down and your not as quick getting out of the building. Becuase most kids know where to go and what to do when there is an emergency and its good practice to go to safty when needed. 

• I understand how the line idea seeems slow and a waste of valuable time, however, it does help keep track of students better. Students normally know where to go in an emergency, but it would be easier for the teacher to know if someone is unaccounted for.

• I think it is. If everyone ran out like crazy people, than it would be bad. People would get trampled and there would be to much chaos. Overall I feel they are beneficial. 

• I think lining up to exit the building is a very safe and efficient way to get out. Although, it can be very annoying and kids are going to want to just run out, its probably faster in the end to stay in a line. If people just ran to the doors there would be pushing, running over, ect. and the doors would get crowded and make a traffic jam causing more time wasted. 

• I agree that lining up in an emergency is one of the more safe and efficient ways to get out. I agree that students will more than likely just run out, but overall staying together as a class would make the whole process much faster.

• I think walking in a single file line is stupid, if I hear that a fire is breaking im getting in my vechile and getting out of this place. I say if there was a fire that we should all just leave and get out of there, because people could be killed by walking in a single file line.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker