Is Online Schooling More Effective than In-person?

Online school started around the late 1900s. The first online school was a class at a college that was broadcasted in 1953. Online classes on the computer started in 1989. Today 1 in every 4 college students is registered in at least one college course. 

Taking online classes gives students time to work at their own pace. Online classes also help people have time to earn a college degree while working full-time and away from campus. People like online classes for the reasons of class flexibility, self-discipline, and money.

People like the class flexibility because they get to choose when to take the course during their day. Self-discipline is also helpful with online classes as students will have more independence and control over their education. Sometimes people don’t have money to pay for traditional dorm rooms, books, gas, laundry, meals, and classes. So while working on classes online they can still have a full-time job. Statistics show that 77% of academic teachers think online education is equal to physical education. 

With traditional school, you have less control over how your schedule looks. If your school doesn't have many extra classes to help with the degree you want to receive, you have to fill your schedule with study halls or other classes. In-person schools can also be a difficult thing for the community, if you go to a school that gets a lot of snow and ice over the winter it can be dangerous. With online school, you have more control over how your schedule looks because there are more options for classes online. With online schools, you can do the work from your room and don’t have to worry about the commute with dangerous conditions.

In my opinion, if Harlan offered online classes I feel I would take them. I think I would have more of a variety of classes to choose from that would help me with the degree I want to receive. Some people learn better with in-person schooling and others would learn better with online classes. People like online classes due to the fact they get to choose their classes and the independence that come with them. Others like in-person classes due to the fact they are listening to what the teacher is teaching. Classes in person can make it harder for distractions to appear. 

If you had a choice to do online school would you take it? And why?

Do you think you would do better with in-person schooling or online? And why?

Do you think all schools should offer online classes?

Sources: https://www.onlineschools.org/visual-academy/the-history-of-online-schooling/

https://www.goodwin.edu/enews/online-classes-vs-traditional-classes/#:~:text=Today%2C%20about%201%20in%20 every,learn%20butter%20 via%20online%20classes.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I would have the option to take online classes I would take them. It would allow me to have more fexibility, manage better my time and focus better on what I want to improve or keep working on. I think I would do better in an online school because you can have more personalized attention. I think all schools should offer both options so people could adapt to the one the like better.

• In my opinion, I think online classes should still be offered even if it is just one online class during your study hall. I think all schools should have the option to take online classes if they wanted to. 

• I believe that online school is more affordable and effective. Courses can be accessed from the computer  and you can use resources. There are teacher made videos that you can watch. People can take school at their own pace, but some people might not do their work. I think being homeschooled is easier and provides more opportunities for students.

• Some people learn better with traditional school and others dont due to all of the distractions. It just all depends on how you, induvisual, will learn better.

• If our school offered online classes, I personally feel that I would benefit from the self-paced design of the class. I feel as though I understand more when I am able to complete the work at my own pace instead of feeling rushed. I feel that schools should give students the option to take the class, whether they choose to or not. 

• I agree with you, sometimes people feel rushed with in-person school and the time given to the class to complete the assignment. 

• I like in-person school. I think the only good part about school is being able to talk/see your friends every day. I feel like online school would get depressing and I couldn't learn that way. I don't think al schools should offer it. 

• I can see who you like in-prerson school because you get to see your friends but sometimes friends can be a distraction. 

• I would personally not want to take any online classes but I can see why some people would like to. In my opinion, in person learning is the best way to learn stuff. There are a lot of distractions in today's world and kids would definitely take advantage of online classes in a bad way I think.

• Some people learn better with traditional school and others dont due to all of the distractions. It just all depends on how you, induvisual, will learn better.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker