Is it that much cheaper to drive an electric car?

Is it really that much cheaper to drive an electric or hybrid car? In my opinion they are better for the environment, But does it cost more money to buy and charge these electric machines? If you are thinking aboyut purchasing an electric car tjink about where you live and how many chargers are in your area in case you may run out of battery. Grtting into the prices of these electric/hybrid cars you may be thinking of purchasing an electric car since the gas prices have gone up over 58% since last year. It turns out the average price of these electric cars are roughly $56,437 according to kelly bluebook, $10,000 higher then the cost of gas and EV's. If you own a Tesla you will get a level 2 charger installed in your home, but you will have to pay for the "superchaegers" if you have to charge your car in public. In my opinion i would not own one of these electric cars because if you run out of battery anywhere you wouldnt be able to charge your car or put gas in it if your stuck somewhere.

Also tax credits can lower the cost of buying your electric car to about $46,000. The federal goverment can offer a $2,500-$7,500 for someone who has newly purchased an eletric vehicle. You may be asking, witch is cheaper overall? it turns out that The U.S Department of Energy repot shows that after people owning electric/hybrid cars it is actually cheaper to own an electric car by saving a few thousand dollars every year. Based on the average lifetime of a car they last almost 200,000 miles, you pay normally $94,000 for gas in that 200,000 miles and about $90,000 in that 200,000 for an electric car. They have a difference of $4,000 witch may not seem like a lot compared to $90,000 but overtime after buying new cars every few years it all adds up. It does turn out that electric vehicles have a bigger up front cost comared to a similar gasoline vehicle.

Do you think it is cheaper to own a gasoline or electric vehicle?

Would you buy an electric car?

Sources:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/29/electric-vehicles-are-becoming-more-affordable-amid-spiking-gas-prices.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31544842/how-much-is-an-electric-car/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In the long run, it would save a lot of money; especially with gas prices right now. But in general, I personally think it wouldn't be worth it because that is way too much for a car.  It just sounds like it would be a bigger hassle than it needs to be and it's easier to handle a gas car.

• I personally think that people won't save that much more money with an electric car because of how expensive they are to buy one. If the person had the car for a long time over time it would maybe save them money, especially with the gas prices so high but it would take a while for the person to save money considering the price of the cars.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker