Is it appropriate to teach religion in schools

Do you think that teachers should be able to talk about their religion in school? There are 78% of schools that have religion in their schools because they think that it is a need. There are schools that don’t teach religion because they don’t see it as much as a priority as other schools. The schools that teach religion say they teach it because it is a part of a public school education because they think that is how people came to the earth.

I think that a religion class could be a class for people who are interested in it or people who need to take that class for credits. I also think that people who don’t want to take the class should not have to take that class because that could be their beliefs. That is what I think about having a religion class at our school.

Do you think that there should be a religion class?

What is your opinion on religion?

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2017/04/26/in-america-does-more-education-equal-less-religion/#:~:text=Indeed%2C%20fully%20three%2Dquarters%20of,topped%20out%20with%20high%20school.

https://www.k12.wa.us/policy-funding/equity-and-civil-rights/information-families-civil-rights-washington-schools/religion-schools#:~:text=Religion%20may%20be%20presented%20as,instilling%20understanding%2C%20tolerance%20and%20respect.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think teachers should be allowed to give their opinion/teach about religion in class, because class time is used for learning about school-related subjects. Having a class you can sign up for to learn more about your religion would be somewhat of a good idea, but I feel like some people would sign up for it to cause problems and make fun of that certain religion.

• I dont think its a bad idea to teach more about your religion but there are so many people at the school with different religions. I think you should be able to sign up for it and learn more because there are a lot of people that would like to do that.

• I think you should be able to sign up for a religion class. But I feel like it wouldnt work very well. Becuase, there are many different religions so they would have to have a lot of classes for it. Having at school would also be nice because some people dont have time to so it on there own. 

• I dont think there should a religion class in school because it was get in other classses and stuff, also they have their own time to go do whatever their religion does.

I think religion is cool im not gonna say my religion but it is what it is.

• I think that being able to learn more about religion in school is a very excellent idea and it could also benefit you by giving you more credits to graduate. I also think that having an extra class you can take if you want to learn more about it is also an excellent idea. I personally don’t have much of an opinion on other people's religion I don’t really see a reason to judge people for things that they believe in even if I don’t believe in it myself. I do believe in god myself, so I think that being able to learn about this is very interesting.

• I do not think its bad to teach religion. I think its good for people to undertand and respect everyones faith. It is bad to enforece it tho. Nobody should tell you what to believe. And everyone shgould respect peoples beliefs. 

• I agree, people should be able to teach their faith and understand it better but putting it a school might not be the best way to do it for a public school. I agree nobody should tell you you have to belive something witch is why if they did it they would make it an elective.

• Separation of church and state makes it so public schools cannot take a stance on/fund religion. Because it is the taxpayers' money, having a class for one religion would be a misuse. An optional religion class seems more reasonable, but a class (optional or not) still needs funding which would come from the government. A taxpayer could not be required to fund a religious class. 

• I think that there should be an optional elective class for religion or religions of people's choice. They could use this time to worship everyday during a designated time. I think that this would be a great option, but it won't be brought to class as the government and the church must stay separate.

•  I agree I think that there should be an elective religion of any type because it is important that people know about it and this could be a way to do it. I agree I think now it would be a big jump to make both in the same place at the same time.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker