Is DEF Necessary

Diesel Exhaust Fluid also known as DEF is a fix to emission problems with diesel vehicles. DEF is a fluid put into the exhaust of all diesel vehicles newer than 2010. DEF makes diesel vehicles not blow black smoke and it makes vehicles pass the emission test. DEF is supposed to make diesel vehicles more environmentally friendly.

DEF is mandatory for all diesel vehicles newer than the year 2010. But people found a way to not have to use DEF. Some people delete their diesel pickups and that takes all the DEF components off of their vehicles so they don't have to pay for DEF. All tho It is legal to delete vehicles many people do. People always say that DEF saves the environment by taking some of the emotions out of the diesel vehicles.

DEF comes in either a tote or 1-5 gallon jugs. These are made of plastic and many semis trucks and tractors have to use def and when they don't have a 200 gallon tote to use on the road they have too many gallon jugs of def and personally I think that is worse because it is putting more plastic into use. Know there is some gas stations that sell def out of a pump but usually all the pumps are carotid because of how toxic the DEF is

Do you have a diesel vehicle that uses DEF?

Do you think DEF is sustainable?

Do you think all diesel engines should have DEF?

capitalremanexchange.com/20-facts-you-need-to-know-about-diesel-exhaust-fluid-def/

lakecityautocare.com/what-is-def-and-what-does-it-do/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree def isnt necassarrey becasue of how anoying and inconvent it is.

• I don't think I have a vehicle that uses DEF but it doesn't seem logical to be using it. Yes, it helps with pollution or whatever, but as you said, it's toxic and wastes a lot of plastic, which is also harmful.  I think it should be a choice if you want to use it in your vehicle because some people may like it and some may not.

• I don't know much about DEF or the history of how it came about, but it sounds needed. With the crumbling climate, I think that this is the least we can do to help. I don't understand how this is a problem. It was made and mandated for a reason.

• I am not sure if I have a vehicle that has DEF but I don’t really see the point in getting rid if it is told to be good for the environment especially if getting rid of it is illegal. I think that if you are purposely getting rid of it then you are just a little bit selfish and you only want to not have it so you can blow black smoke from your truck or whatever. I also think that it is great to put more plastic to use especially if there is so much unused plastic everywhere destroying the planet more and more. That used plastic could also be getting changed into the bottle that is used to hold DEF

• I don't know much about vehicles so I don't know if I have any car that uses DEF. I think it helps and is more sustainable. I don't think all diesel engines should have DEF so poeople can choose whether they want it with or without or if they would rather get an electrical car better.

• I think it can have both good and bad impacts. It might help the environment, but for those not wanting the power of something to be reduced, I can see where it might be aggravating. I know that most of my dad's equipment and trucks use DEF and I know that he's not a huge fan of it.

• I agree DEF can be good but I also think DEF is more bad than good.

• I don't know a lot about vehicles, but I know that carbon emissions have been rising. CO2 has been growing since the industrial revolution, but there are ways we can change it today. I think if people don't want to use DEF, then that is their choice. I think that there are ways that everything could be more earth friendly.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker