Is Black Friday good or bad for small businesses?

Every year on the Friday after Thanksgiving, many stores offer great deals for shoppers. This is known as Black Friday. With many people shopping on Black Friday, it is a great opportunity for stores to gain revenue, but is there too much competition for small businesses to make a good profit? 

Typically, the stores with the best deals get the most customers. Big chain stores can afford to make these sort of deals, and have enough items in stock to sell a large amount of items for little cost. Small businesses can't compete with many of the deals big stores have and often have to sell things at a higher price, or feel pressured into matching these deals that they can't afford. This causes many customers to shop at bigger stores instead of small ones.  Big stores also can advertise their deals a lot more than small businesses. They have more money for advertisements. For example, last year major retailers spent just over a quarter of a billion dollars advertising for their black friday deals alone. In comparison, the average small business spends only $400 dollars on advertisements monthly. Due to all of this advertising, a lot more people will know about the sales big stores are having, while not many will know about small business sales. 

I think that Black Friday can be profitable for small businesses if they set realistic deals that their business can afford. No small businesses will  benefit as much as big businesses do from black friday, but they can make some money if they remember what their business can afford. 

Do you think Black Friday is good or bad for small businesses? 

Do you usually shop at big stores or small stores on black friday?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Think that black Friday ks good because since it is on sale the more money they make and the more people they will have.

• I think it is both good and bad because they are not making as much money as they could and their products are lowering down. Ultimately, they could or are be loosing more money during Black Friday. 

• I agree, they have to be careful and make sure they can afford the deals they're giving

• I think  black friday is good and bad because, yes it does make good money but does take a havty amount of all ur supllies out of your stores all until you have notthing left on your shelves, so yes its good and bad.'

• I think it could be both for small businesses. Because it would get people in there stores and it would make them a little money I think black friday is an excuse for people to go buy stuff they don't need. But I do like black friday makes stuff cheaper but at the same time bussinesses are making more money than before. People think they are saving money but they are not they are spending more. 

• I think that black friday is good for any type of business, because they get a lot of there product sold that day. Yes they might not get as much money for it but if it was not selling and then it sold they will be happy becasue they sold it and they got money from it.

• I think black friday is agood way for small buisnesses to sell their goods. People will notice the lower prices and probably purchase the item. If they like the product they most likley will go back and get more or more like it. I think for the little time black friday goes on that the buisness will be okay.

• I agree, since black friday is only one day small businesses might not lose that much money

• I think that Black Friday can be good for small businesses if they respect customers' demands. Although most would never be able to give the extreme deals that bigger franchise businesses do. Giving too big of deals as a small business could cause them to go into bankrupt. 

• I think black friday can probably benifit smaller bussinesses.  I think if some people don't know about a small business then the advertising is also good for the bussiness. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker