Is Black Friday good or bad for small businesses?

Every year on the Friday after Thanksgiving, many stores offer great deals for shoppers. This is known as Black Friday. With many people shopping on Black Friday, it is a great opportunity for stores to gain revenue, but is there too much competition for small businesses to make a good profit? 

Typically, the stores with the best deals get the most customers. Big chain stores can afford to make these sort of deals, and have enough items in stock to sell a large amount of items for little cost. Small businesses can't compete with many of the deals big stores have and often have to sell things at a higher price, or feel pressured into matching these deals that they can't afford. This causes many customers to shop at bigger stores instead of small ones.  Big stores also can advertise their deals a lot more than small businesses. They have more money for advertisements. For example, last year major retailers spent just over a quarter of a billion dollars advertising for their black friday deals alone. In comparison, the average small business spends only $400 dollars on advertisements monthly. Due to all of this advertising, a lot more people will know about the sales big stores are having, while not many will know about small business sales. 

I think that Black Friday can be profitable for small businesses if they set realistic deals that their business can afford. No small businesses will  benefit as much as big businesses do from black friday, but they can make some money if they remember what their business can afford. 

Do you think Black Friday is good or bad for small businesses? 

Do you usually shop at big stores or small stores on black friday?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, black friday can bring new customers to small businesses 

• I don't think that small businesses necessarily make much profit because of Black Friday. Black Friday is about over consume and buying much and getting the best deals. I don't think that small businesses can compete against the big businesses when it comes to that. 

• I think black friday is good for small businesses. People love black friday but hate all the crowds and lines so I think small buisnesses get more attention from some people and they would rather go there then the huge stores to get a few items. 

• I agree, small businesse are usually less crowded which can help bring in some customers

• In my opinion Black Friday can be good for small businesses if they set their prices right. I think that a lot more people would go into a small business if they saw that they had a black Friday sale. A lot of people shop at small stores if the prices were comparable to big stores. 

• I think that black friday can benefit small businesses, but it can also drive them to the ground. If the business knows that they can handle, and only does things carefully, Black Friday will really help with sales and profit, especially around here.

• I agree, businesses have to know what they can afford in order to make profit from black friday

• I think that black friday is both good and bad for small buisnesses. They are able to sell more of their products and get more business if their stuff is on sale. It can also be bad because they might spend more on products and making them cheaper will cost them more. 

• I think black fridat is good for small businesses. I think that living in a small town, if people don't want to go all the way to the city, then having sales and stuff in all the small businesses helps them out a lot. Having big sales and stuff that people want in town can keep the money local.

• I think that black friday is good for small businesses. They sell a lot of stuff for a little amount of money but they still make a lot of money from it and that is what businesses need. I don't shop but if I did it would depend on what the big store sold and what the small store sold.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker