Is Black Friday good or bad for small businesses?

Every year on the Friday after Thanksgiving, many stores offer great deals for shoppers. This is known as Black Friday. With many people shopping on Black Friday, it is a great opportunity for stores to gain revenue, but is there too much competition for small businesses to make a good profit? 

Typically, the stores with the best deals get the most customers. Big chain stores can afford to make these sort of deals, and have enough items in stock to sell a large amount of items for little cost. Small businesses can't compete with many of the deals big stores have and often have to sell things at a higher price, or feel pressured into matching these deals that they can't afford. This causes many customers to shop at bigger stores instead of small ones.  Big stores also can advertise their deals a lot more than small businesses. They have more money for advertisements. For example, last year major retailers spent just over a quarter of a billion dollars advertising for their black friday deals alone. In comparison, the average small business spends only $400 dollars on advertisements monthly. Due to all of this advertising, a lot more people will know about the sales big stores are having, while not many will know about small business sales. 

I think that Black Friday can be profitable for small businesses if they set realistic deals that their business can afford. No small businesses will  benefit as much as big businesses do from black friday, but they can make some money if they remember what their business can afford. 

Do you think Black Friday is good or bad for small businesses? 

Do you usually shop at big stores or small stores on black friday?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion Black Friday can be bad and good for small businesses. It can help them to encourage more people to buy their prooducts because of the difference of prices but it can also be bad bacause the majority of people buy products in big stores and big businesses because they can afford lowering prices even more so the prices would be better. I normally shop at bigs stores in Black Friday.

• I think that black fridat is bad for small buisnesses because all of the "big" companies have money for advertisements and are well known. I have never really black friday shopped in person before. I usually buy stuff off of Amazon. Reason being, Black friday = long lines at stores. So, shopping online can save you time.

• I think Black Friday can be good or bad for small buisnesses. If small businesses went down like big buisnesses do then they wouldn't make much money. If they set profitable prices on things, then yes it could be good for them. 

• I agree, small businesses have to know what deals they can afford in order to make profit from black friday

• Black friday is horrible for small businesses because massive company have very big sales and this makes people want to buy from them. I don't do much shopping unless it's for clothing and I mostly shop at bigger stores.

• I think that it can be both depending on how much stock the store has and how many customers come during the sale. I think it can possibly hurt smaller businesses because the prices are already lower so they can sell more to local customers and they will make them lower.

• I think that Black Friday is both good and bad for small businesses because even though they can’t advertise as much they still have the chance to make more money and new customers. When I go shopping on Black Friday the stores I go to really just depend on where I am and what I am looking for. But I do go to both small and big stores.

• I think that black Friday is good for small businesses to a certain extent. Its good to get people to see there store and hopefully buy stuff. But I think it could be bad because small businesses may have to compete with other bigger/more popular stores with prices. Therefore they may not make alot of profit. 

• I agree, it is hard for small businesses to compete with the deals large companies have to offer

• I personally think Black Friday can be good or bad for a small buisness. If they went really down like big buisnesses do then they wouldn't make much money. If they set a realistic profitable price on things, then yes it could be good for them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker