Is allowing student to play games at school a good idea

Some say they provide experiential learning for the students that play games. Doing so teaches students relative skills more suited to the era. One such skill is creative problem solving which is the best for the future workplaces , according to the organization for economic co-operation and development. Games where students solve math problems in a fantasy environment, can help students master skills such as critical thinking.

Others may say that playing video games messes with people's sleep schedule or job/school work, then you’d much rather have to take a step back and reschedule your time limits. Some people worry about the health issues that come with playing games too much like damaged eyesight, lack of exercise, violent tendencies, even seizures.

I personally think that allowing kids the freedom to play games is a great idea. I feel like if students are allowed to play games they would be more focused when they are in class.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/learning/what-students-are-saying-about-video-game-limits-parental-involvement-in-dating-and-road-trips.html

https://today.tamu.edu/2021/09/06/5-reasons-video-games-should-be-more-widely-used-in-school/

Do you believe that games should be allowed in school?

Do you think that games should only be limited to home?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I  think that this discussion can go both ways, but I believe that students should be able to play games in class. If students have their work done and everything else they should have the freedom to play games.

• I think kids should be allowed to play games in school. It can be a good break and as long as kids are doing it in their own time I don’t think it's a problem. I think actually playing games during class is different. They can be a distraction and a student could easily miss the teacher's instructions.

• In my opinion it depends in what type of games your playing, if its a game were you are learning school related stuff than i think it okay but if its a game were you are just wasting your time on than its not okay you honestly it just depends on the games 

• I think it depends on the game, if it's a learning game that is impactful then yes. But if it's just a game for fun that isn't very beneficial then no. I think that unless it's a learning game to help you study or learn then no, because we should be spending as much time at school learning and getting schoolwork done as we can. We want to do that so then we can go home later in the day and have the rest of the day to do whatever we want. 

• I think that students should be able to play games at school. In most classes students play games when they should be doing homework. School is like a prison and it is boring so students play games so they can pass time in classes. They mainly play games in study hall to help pass the time in their study hall.

• I do think that the kids should be able to play games in school. It is a good stress reliever and could also help the kids learn better.  However, I do not think that they should be able to play games during classes. I think that it is a distraction and could disrupt the student's learning.

• I do think that kids should be able to play games in school. But teachers and administrative staff needs to make sure that they are regulating the usage of games. And to make sure that the kids are not playing games over getting their school work done and learning more.

• I think that they should be able to play games in school when they are not in an important class like math, English, or science. I think that a unit in one class about video games would be cool, as it would show the critical thinking skills required for certain games. Like you said, some students stay up all night playing video games, so this would hurt their learning skills.

• I think that playing games games at school is fine, as long as your work is done. If they allow for playing games all of the time, students would most likey not do their work and just play games all day, and that's just a waste of time.

• School already feels like a prison. So there are very few ways for students to actually have fun at school. And playing games is one of them. As long as the student is responsible enough, and can handle it, then everything is fine. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker