Is 25 Minutes Enough to Eat?

It doesn't seem like everyone has enough time to eat lunch in the 25 minute schedule for lunch. I think they should add on a few more minutes for us because I see everyone rushing to eat their food. On the other side, there is more class time for teachers with the middle period. There are both good and bad outcomes to the 25 minute lunch period, but do we need more time or less time?

30 minutes can allow kids to be less rushed, as there is always a big line for lunch. According to Health Essentials, it shows that eating slower can have a lower risk of obesity. I feel like it also allows food to settle before moving onto the next class. Kids don't finish all of their lunch in the 25 minute period, which results in food waste. Slow eaters are also healthier than fast eaters, according to Health Essentials. I think the extra 5 minutes could make a huge difference, but you would have to cut some class time. 

On the other side, you could only finish lunch in 20 minutes and be done with it.  Although some people could finish lunch in 5-10 minutes, they are likely overeating and having indigestive risks, according to Health Essentials. People who eat their lunch quickly can develop diabetes and become obese (Health Essentials). It also shows why some kids can get sick after lunch and leave. I think teachers would like a 20 minute lunch period so they have more time to teach instead of the lunch period taking up half of the time. I see many teachers complaining about the shortened period for lunch.

Overall, I think the 30 minute lunch would be better for everyone since they wouldn't be in a big rush for lunch. The 20 minute lunch would stress some people out, and there would be more chances of kids becoming unhealthy. Although the classes would be cut short in the 30 minute lunch period, it allows kids to not leave school because of getting sick for being fast eaters. The 25 minute period we currently have is in the middle of both the times I have talked about. The 25 minute period might be alright, but some kids still have to rush and eat, which is why I think we need an extra 5 minutes.

Health Essentials

Are you for more or less time for lunch?

How many minutes should be allowed for lunch?

What is your opinion on the current lunch schedule?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree, many would finish their lunch in an extra 5  minutes. They would have more time to fill their water and use the bathroom, so they don't have to use an E-Hall Pass. I agree they should have us enjoy lunch.

• I believe that we should get atleast up to 30 minutes or they need to speed up the process. I have found myself waiting for about 15 minutes before and the kitchen is always making it tough for people to get through. Yes, 5 minutes doesnt seem like a long time, but that's an extra 5 minutes that each kid gets to eat. It would help if the school would give us more food, as some kids do not find the food as enough for the rest of the day.

• I agree, we need more food and the kitchen should be better at space when it comes to lunch. I always feel hungry after 6th hour, which means they didn't feed us enoguh for the rest of the school day. I agree we need an extra 5 minutes, it would make a difference.

• I always find that I am waiting for about ten minutes everyday after I eat my food for the bell to ring. I find 25 minutes a very decent amount of time and I think it should not be lenghtened, but just stay the same. I alwasy see people messing around with their food because they know they have a lot of time, and after about 15 mintues I see mostly everyone done eating. Maybe if the school gave us a little more food each day we would need more time.

• I agree that the school doesn't give us enough food, but some are bit slow at eating. I may find time to myself at the end, but I still feel rushed. It is why I think we need an extra 5 minutes of lunch.

• I say if you give kids a 30 minute break that will be good enough. I think 30 minutes is enough time for kids to eat and get a break. I think that the lunch is a bit short but their is a decent amount of time.

• I agree, 30 minutes is enough for each student. I also agree that lunch is cut short and could be better than what it is.

• I think that we should have more time to eat lunch. I don't like how they changed it from 30 minutes to 25 minutes. I feel like the 30 minutes were perfect because you had time to eat your food and talk to friends about stuff. Some people are slow eaters and it takes them longer to eat than others, so when they are done eating they have like 5 minutes to actually talk with their friends.

• I agree, some are slow eaters and need more time and force them rush. Socializing is very important for us since we want to talk to friends. Although I was in middle school when they changed lunch, they should bring it back.

• I think that we should have more time for lunch. I think that we should have at least 30 minutes to eat, at the minimum. Our lunch line at school is very long and at times, slow moving. Our lunch schedule does not account for the time we spend standing in line versus actually sitting down and eating. I often find myself eating very quickly and at times not finishing my food because I am rushing to get done on time and take care of anything else before class. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker