iPhone Clean Energy Charging

Apple has recently come out with a new update that only charges your iPhone during peak hours of electricity use. They call it clean energy charging and it is meant to reduce your carbon footprint, but does it really help in the grand scheme of things?

To start, clean energy charging works by tracking a local carbon forecast to track when low carbon emission energy is available for use. This only works if your iPhone is plugged in and the clean energy charging option on settings is available. If your iPhone is updated to update 16.1 or newer, this option is automatically on unless you turn it off. Furthermore, your iPhone will track the charging schedule it is usually on and will only charge if the phone is on this schedule.

Why is this bad? The feature was updated to every iPhone and turned on automatically without users permission. This didn’t allow users to choose whether or not to try it out and see if they liked it. Some users are worried that their iPhone won’t be fully charged when they need it to be charged. Some users are reporting that their iPhone is charging slower than normal. If you would like to turn this feature off go to settings>Battery>Battery Health and Charging> Then turn off Clean Energy charging

To recap, Clean Energy Charging is a new feature on iPhones that tracks your local carbon forecast to use the lowest carbon emission energy possible. However this feature was turned on automatically and some users are worried that it doesn’t help their iPhones. 

Do you think that this update will help lower carbon emissions?

Will you turn off Clean Energy Charging on your iPhone? If so, why?

Do you think this is a good way to lower carbon footprints and carbon emissions?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/03/01/apple-clean-energy-charging-iphone/ 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213323

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that this update could possibly lower carbon emissions because it will use less energy. I'm not sure if I would shut off this Clean Energy Charging, but I may turn it off if it won't let me charge my phone. I think this could be a way to lower our carbon footprint.

• Yes it will use less energy, but power plants will still produce the same amount of energy regardless of how much energy is used. I don't see how power plants will produce less energy when they are already at max efficiency.

• This update will probably lower carbon emisssions because less energy will have to be made. I wouldn't turn off this setting if I had an iPhone because it's helping with global climate change. If my phone didn't have enough charge, I would just bring a charger with me. This is a good way to lower carbon footprints because it takes no effort.

• I think that bringing a charger is a good idea, but you would have to keep track of one more thing. You would also have to make sure that no one messes with your phone while it is charging. I think that the same amount of energy will be produced, the excess will just not be used.

• I think It might help with lowering carbon emissions, I dont think its gonna lower all the carbon footprint But maybe some, I think factories are the main problem because they produce so much crap that isnt good.

• I don't see a problem with energy-saving features like the one you've talked about. They're not annoying to me and if Apple says it helps your battery life I'll try it. Our knowledge of technology is constantly evolving so maybe it helps more than we think.

• I agree with using the feature as long as it doesn't annoy me. I think that if it helps your battery life, why not use it.

• In my opinion this new update is going to lower carbon emissions or at least try to. I think I would turn it on depending on how fast I need my phone to be charged by. I can understant that people don't like it because it will take a lot longer to charge and many people want it charge as fast as possible. I think it is a good way to try to lower carbon emissions but I don't know if it will work.

• I agree that it will try to lower carbon emissions, but I don't think that it will lower carbon emissions.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker