Iowa and Nebraska Tornadoes

On Saturday March 26 a couple of tornadoes hit Nebraska and Iowa. They devastated the surrounding towns. Meanwhile, some towns did get hit, and most houses were demolished.

In Iowa at least 3 tornadoes touched ground. One of the tornadoes had hit Minden. After the storm 3-4 people were hospitalized and 20 people were rescued from the wreckage. A tornado hit Lincoln Nebraska, as well as Omaha Nebraska. It is spring so tornadoes are going to be happening more often. The reason so many tornadoes happen in Iowa and Nebraska is because we are in tornado alley. 

Many tornadoes happen in Nebraska and Iowa. One tornado had hit Iowa in May of 1968. The tornado had hit on May 15. 13 people were dead and 450 were injured. It was an F5 and the funnel of the tornado was 600 yards wide. It had passed through Charles City and damaged over 1,500 homes.

The most recent tornado that had caused death in Iowa, was on June 11, 2008. 4 people had died, but 48 were injured during the storm. It was an F3 and the funnel was 440 yards wide. It had hit multiple cities because its path was 7.5 miles long. In Nebraska a tornado hit on May 8 1965. The tornado was an F4 and had killed 4 people. This had happened in Primrose, Nebraska.

These tornadoes were horrible, and I hope people that got hit by it are safe.

Questions:

Did you watch the tornado outside?

Did you or anybody you know get hit by the tornado?

Sources:

https://www.3newsnow.com/weather/weather-history/may-8-1965-violent-tornadoes-in-central-nebraska 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2015/05/11/iowa-deadliest-tornadoes/27132509/

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/minden-shleby-tornado-damage-summary-outbreak 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I did not go outside to see the tornado instead I was in my basement. I saw lots of videos online though. A couple of my parents friends houses got hit and destroyed but my house was safe and fine. 

• I didn't watch the tornado outside because I was at work and was ordered to stay inside. I was in a freezer, actually. Fortunately, I do not know anyone who was hit by the tornado. However, I have great empathy for all of the people who were affected. 

• I couldn't see the tornado outside because I was too far away from it to see it. I did not even look outside because of how dangerous the flying debris was. Jolie's barn got destroyed by the tornado, but her house is fine. 

• Oh no, hopefully she didn't lose anything. I think she said that the cat food flew away.

• I wasn't in Harlan when the tornado was close, but I saw a lot of pictures from family and friends that they had taken. I know a few families that live outside of Harlan that got hit pretty hard. My parents used to live in Minden, and a lot of damage was done to their previous house. 

• I kind of saw it looking out my window but I do know people that did see it and even went after it. I know 1 person that got hit by it but them and their house ok.

• I kind of did want to watch the tonado but my parents didin't think watching it would be a good idea, so I did have to go downstairs to the bathroom to be save. Also some of my dads friends houses did get hit and really destroyed.

• My grandpa got hit by the tornado in Minden it just missed his house just barley but the rest of the town is destoryed.  The east of town is gone and the main drag of town is mostly gone. I'm just happy that my grandpa is okay and everyone else that I know in minden are ok.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker