International Women's Day

on March 8, in 1908, women workers in the needle trades marched through New York City's Lower East Side to protest child labor, sweatshop working conditions, and demand women's suffrage. Beginning in 1910, March 8 became annually observed as International Women's Day. Should we have a women's history day? Why isin't there a men's history day? the reason why there is a women's history day and not a men's day is because men didn't have to fight for their rights like women did. men already had the right to vote, they were able to have a paying job, able to have an education, and own a businesses. Women only gained the right to vote in the 1920s, and had equal emplyment in 1966. All because females hads to fight. some of the women who fought was Emmeline Pankhurs, Rosa Parks, Malala Yousafzai, and Obiageli Ezekwesili. Emmeline launched a campaign for women's sufferage, Rosa Parks is considered the mother of the civil rights movement by protesting against racially discriminitory laws, Malala is a female education activist for Pakistan, and finally Obiageli is an economic policy expert, an advocate for transparency, accountability, good governance and human capital development, a humanitarian and an activist. All in all, international women's day gives all of us a chance to celebrate women's accomplishments despite everything they fought against.

should there be a women's history month? why or why not?

Source

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think there should be a women's history month. Women are one of the least talked about in history textbooks when they have done a lot. Women have had to sacrifice a lot of things to be able to be free today. So yes, In think that there should be women's history month because it is very important to be educated on how women earned their rights and freedom.

• Yes, I think women's history month should continue since woman have had to fight for a lot of different things in the past and it should be recognized. Woman have had to go through a lot to have the rights we do today and the different woman that sacraficed for that should be honored. 

• Yes, I think that women’s history month should continue because it’s a way to celebrate all of the things that women have fought for and continue to fight for. Women have had to fight for a lot of very important things such as women's rights to vote, women's ability to have jobs, and women's education and so much more. Women's history month is something that congratulates all women everywhere that have or have had a voice and chose to use it to their advantage. 

• I agree with you. Without women we wouldn't be where we are today and I am thankful that they have fought to be heard, not for their own profit, but for women all across nations. 

• I think that there should be a womens history month, even if no one really focus' on it. It is important and you can learn the history of women and all the things they've done. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker