How many marriages in the united states end in divorce?

According to the APA (American Psychological Association), about 40-50% of first marriages end in divorce. The rate of divorce in a second marriage is even higher, at about 60-67%. Almost 827,261 out of 2,245,404 marriages ended in divorce in 2019.

Most divorces happen among adults between the ages of 25-39, and most of these divorces happen within the first 5 years of marriage. Some of the most common reasons for divorce are communication issues, infertility, financial problems, and more. 

In 2019 the rate of divorce hit an all-time low in 50 years. For every 1,000 only 7.6 resulted in divorce. Between the ages of 25-39, the rate of divorce dropped from 30 per 1,000 to 24 per 1,000. 

Covid had a fairly large impact on the divorce rate in the united states. There was a large survey done around U.S. saying that 42% of married adults said that the pandemic strengthed their relationship, and 12% said that it made them question their relationship. 

Are your parents divorced? 

How did covid affect relationships in your life?

If your parents are divorced how has it affected you?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My parents are not divorced which im happy with. I feel bad for people that have divorced parents because they have to switch houses every day or every week. Covid didn't effect my relationship with anyone so im happy with that. Having devorsed parents is pry one of the worst thing possible.

• Yes my parents are seperated when I was very very young. Covid effected nothing in my life excpet people get worried if they get a cough. It really hasnt affected because I got a good life and I do get to see both sides.

• My parents have been divorced since I was 2 years old. Growing up going between homes once every 3-4 months was hard. I see my dad around 2-3 times a year. It used to be Easter, summer break, and Thanksgiving. Since covid, we cut out Easter. It was definetly a challenge not having my dad in my life. It also caused some mental health issues with both my sister and I. Covid made travelling difficult for around 2 years, so I didn't get to see that half of my family very much.

• My parents are not divorced and I doubt they ever will because they got married in 1997. Covid didn't affect much in general for me. Even being out of school for covid didn't really affect me because I did the school work and I talked with friends and played games and stuff like that but it was just like summer.

• Yes, my parents are divorced and they have been for my whole life it has definitely affected me and my sister in some not-so-good ways. We have had to deal with arguments between them both when they are even married. It’s hard to deal with something like that my sister has had a harder time with it than me and it sucks to see how it still affects her today.

• My parents are not divorced. I think that covid could have some effect on some relationships, but I think most of the time people just get divorced because they grow apart. Covid could have helped some relationships get closer or hurt some relationships. 

• My parents never got married and I think if they woudlve they would be divorced. Since my parents aren't together and my dad lives far away i wasn't able to see him as much during the pandemic. My parents not being together has effected me because I have to worry able going to visit him.

• My parents arnt divorsed and it is nice having to parents around in one house hold. Covid put a little bit of a strain on some familys relation ships. I think since my parents arnt dicorced it has helped me maintan a stresss less life.

• My parents are divorced and were divorced before covid but I don't think that covid would have affected them. I get that covid has hurt some relationships but I don't think is why more and more people get divorced these days. 

• My parents divorced when I was three because of communication problems. it hasn't affected me much other than seeing my dad only ocaasionally on the weekends. Covid didn't really affect any of my relationships other than some of my friendships because I didn't talk to them that much.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker