How many marriages in the united states end in divorce?

According to the APA (American Psychological Association), about 40-50% of first marriages end in divorce. The rate of divorce in a second marriage is even higher, at about 60-67%. Almost 827,261 out of 2,245,404 marriages ended in divorce in 2019.

Most divorces happen among adults between the ages of 25-39, and most of these divorces happen within the first 5 years of marriage. Some of the most common reasons for divorce are communication issues, infertility, financial problems, and more. 

In 2019 the rate of divorce hit an all-time low in 50 years. For every 1,000 only 7.6 resulted in divorce. Between the ages of 25-39, the rate of divorce dropped from 30 per 1,000 to 24 per 1,000. 

Covid had a fairly large impact on the divorce rate in the united states. There was a large survey done around U.S. saying that 42% of married adults said that the pandemic strengthed their relationship, and 12% said that it made them question their relationship. 

Are your parents divorced? 

How did covid affect relationships in your life?

If your parents are divorced how has it affected you?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My parents are not divorced, and won't get divorced. I don't really know if COVID affected any relationships, because that has nothing to do with relationships but, I think that it could've hurt some peoples relationships, but I think most divorces are not from COVID.

• My parents arent divorced. Covid effected many things for people but not for me. I feel social distancing effected alot of marriages in positve and negative ways. Good topic.  

• My parents are not divorced and have been married for 22 years. I think that covid-19 defiantly could have caused some problems for marriages. I believe that it caused problems because they could not go anywhere and were stuck inside together for too long. 

• My parents have been together for twenty years and are still going strong. I think that the pandemic helped strengthen established relationships because of more time spent together, but I think that it also hurt some relationships because of too much time together.

• My parents are not divorced but I do know that a lot of marriages end in divorce like you said. I think that covid strained a lot of relationships. Whether is was because they couldn't get together or they were together too much. There is too much and too less time together.

• My parents have been married for over 25 years and they're still very happy together. I think marrying someone is a huge thing, you're committing to a person for life. I think if more people would stop and make sure they're marrying for the right reasons, then there would be fewer divorces.

• My parents are still married they have been for around 30 years and they are still very happy, I think most people don't try to keep the relationship going the first sign of things being a little hard and they get a divorce people to need to try harder

• my parents are still married and havent had a divorce before. I think other women and men try and ruin other relationships especially those who arent all there in the head and good people. i think covid affected things because people couldnt go places or anything 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker