How long should the passing periods be?

Over the years during Harlan Community High School's time, the passing period lengths have changed multiple times. Being 3, 4 and 5 minutes at different times. During Mr. Brun’s first couple of years at Harlan the passing period was 3 minutes long. The school then had a testing period where they had either 3 minute long passing periods with 2, 15 minute breaks throughout the day. Or they could have 5 minute passing periods with no breaks. The teachers and students voted on the 5 minute passing periods. It then got changed to 4 minutes. And then finally it has been 3 minutes for the past two years.

Some pros of longer passing periods would be people could finally have enough time to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles. If a student ever needed help on homework, instead of staying after class to talk with a teacher. Which would result in students being tardy to their next class. They could talk to a teacher before class because of the extra minutes. The halls would also be less crowded as students would leave classes at different times. But some pros of shorter passing periods is we get out earlier. During the time when the school had 5 minute passing periods the school day was from 8:15 to 3:30.

Now some cons of both; longer passing periods result in longer days. Students also have more time to mess around and get in trouble with teachers. Some cons for shorter passing periods are students have no time to go to the bathrooms and fill up their water bottles. Also having classes on opposite sides of the school is a struggle. It’s hard to get to the next class in just 3 minutes, and students are counted tardy if they're late.

If you could choose how long the passing periods were, how long would you say(1-10 minutes)?

Would you have longer passing periods but a longer day or a shorter day with shorter passing periods?

Do you agree or disagree with the time the passing periods are currently?

Mr. Bruns

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I would choose how long passing periods are I would probably pick around 3 minutes like it because most teachers are very lenient so you can go to the bathroom and everything I think it is find at 3 minutes.

• We also have to think about the teachers that are more strict. Some teachers like you to get to class so they can start class right away. I know the math teachers have lots of things they need to teach us. And putting that into 43 minutes is hard sometimes, they then like to start a little earlier than when the bell rings.

• The 3 minutes is barely enough time to get from class to class, but I do prefer having a shorter school because I do not prefer longer passing times if the school day becomes longer. The passing time currently hasn't been a problem so far to me.

• That is how I feel as well, I would like to extend the passing period times, but I would rather have the day be shorter. Especially if you are in a sport, you would have to stay extra long, because of your sport and getting out of school later than we used to.

• I feel like they are good with being three minutes. However, I do feel like the teachers should be more forgivable for students being allowed to go to the restroom. if they are going to give us 3 minutes to get from class to class then we should get a few minutes during class to use the restroom.

• I agree with you, sometimes when students need to go to the bathroom it is hard to get in and out of the bathroom in less than 3 minutes and still get back to class on time. If we don't change the time teachers should be a little more forgiving when it comes to being a little late.

• I would want passing periods to be 5 minutes long. The reason is so I could get up or down steps faster and even travel all the way across school. Kids that mentor are able to have more time to walk from the elementary to the high school so they can make it to class in time. I would rather have longer days with longer passing periods because I would still get the same amount of learning I do already, so it would not bother me much.

• I never even thought of the mentors that are walking form the elementary to the high school. They do need to walk a further distance, and that does take more time. Even further when looking at what time they leave, if they leave a couple of minutes late they could possibly be 10 minutes late to class.

• I would choose the passing periods to be at least 4 minutes long instead of 3 mintues long. Longer passing periods means students would have enough time between classes to use the bathroom and would not have to miss class in order to do so. I would rather have a shorter day and shorter passing periods.  

• I agree that they should be 4 minutes long. By doing this it gives that students and the teachers an extra minute to settle in, go to the bathroom, socialize, and fill up water bottles. Kids also have the option to talk to teachers about questions they have on tests, quizzes, or homework.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker