How long should the passing periods be?

Over the years during Harlan Community High School's time, the passing period lengths have changed multiple times. Being 3, 4 and 5 minutes at different times. During Mr. Brun’s first couple of years at Harlan the passing period was 3 minutes long. The school then had a testing period where they had either 3 minute long passing periods with 2, 15 minute breaks throughout the day. Or they could have 5 minute passing periods with no breaks. The teachers and students voted on the 5 minute passing periods. It then got changed to 4 minutes. And then finally it has been 3 minutes for the past two years.

Some pros of longer passing periods would be people could finally have enough time to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles. If a student ever needed help on homework, instead of staying after class to talk with a teacher. Which would result in students being tardy to their next class. They could talk to a teacher before class because of the extra minutes. The halls would also be less crowded as students would leave classes at different times. But some pros of shorter passing periods is we get out earlier. During the time when the school had 5 minute passing periods the school day was from 8:15 to 3:30.

Now some cons of both; longer passing periods result in longer days. Students also have more time to mess around and get in trouble with teachers. Some cons for shorter passing periods are students have no time to go to the bathrooms and fill up their water bottles. Also having classes on opposite sides of the school is a struggle. It’s hard to get to the next class in just 3 minutes, and students are counted tardy if they're late.

If you could choose how long the passing periods were, how long would you say(1-10 minutes)?

Would you have longer passing periods but a longer day or a shorter day with shorter passing periods?

Do you agree or disagree with the time the passing periods are currently?

Mr. Bruns

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that they should be lengthen, but I don't think that by adding one minute to them is going to make our day longer by much. If we add one minute to the current time of the passing periods we would have an extra 8 minutes added to the end of our day. This would have us getting out at around 3:10. I personally don't believe that it is that much more time added to the end of our day.

• I feel that passing periods should be 4-5 minutes long, this actually gives us time to use the restroom. I also think that we wouldn't have to make the day longer, we could eliminate WIN time. I know about 4 people in total that actually use the WIN time. Most of the time, kids don't need help, and some of the time the teachers don't help students. The teachers that DO help, are often available before school and after. If students really need the help then they should take time out of there day, not everyone elses.  

• I did't even think about taking time away from WIN and that could be a great idea. I know I personally don't really use WIN time, but like you said there are some people who actually need WIN and use their time wisely when using it. I agree that teachers do help before and after school. But it is hard for people who can't get to school early, or can't stay late.

• I think that a passing period time of around six and seven minutes would be a pretty reasonable passing time. That amount of time would give you enough time to use the restroom and fill your water bottle up before the bell rings so that you do not have to interrupt class and leave to do so or be tardy. If I could have a say in this "argument" I would choose a shorter day of school with a longer passing period time. I am in between disagreement and agreement on the passing times right now. I definitely do think that it would be nice for a long time but I don't think that we are in NEED of a longer time. 

• I think that we are not in need of a longer passing time as well. The time that we are at currently is fine, but it does create some stress with students who need to get from classes all the way on the other side of school. I am also in between on agreement and disagreement on the passing times right now. I feel we don't need to change it, but it would be nice if it was changed.

• In my opinion, a 5-minute passing period sounds like a good idea. It would give you enough time to get to your class, especially if it farther from your previous class, and it would also give you time to use the restroom/fill your water bottle. And if students don't need to do any of those options during the passing period then they could use it to study or work on homework for their other classes.

• Having classes far away from one another I would say is a big problem. People also say they need to go to the bathroom, and fill up water bottles. Which I totally agree with. I think teacher will be easier on kids who don't abuse that, but I do think that passing periods do need to be lengthened.

• I think that passing periods should be a little bit longer than 3 minutes. 3 minutes isn't long enough to use the restroom and fill your water and still be on time to class. I think that 4-5 minutes would be ideal. I think that 3 minutes is too short and 4 minutes would be perfect. 

• I agree, I think that the passing periods should be a little bit longer. In my opinion 4 minutes is the perfect in between for passing periods. It's enough time to fill your water bottle or go to the bathroom while not being late for class. 3 minutes isn't always enough time if you would like to get to class on time.

• I prefer the longer passing peroids I think that 5 minutes would be nice. If there was 5 minutes then I could have a chance to talk to my friends in between classes. When I have a friend in a class that we aren't able to socialize in really sucks and I am a very busy person and do not get a chance to talk to them otherwise. Another issue with shorter peroids would be the teachers who don't always let all students go to the bathroom. Some teachers don't let students go to the bathroom at the same time so then you would have to wait but if everyone tries to go during the passing peroid then there will not be enough time because it will be too crowded even if there was more time.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker