How long should the passing periods be?

Over the years during Harlan Community High School's time, the passing period lengths have changed multiple times. Being 3, 4 and 5 minutes at different times. During Mr. Brun’s first couple of years at Harlan the passing period was 3 minutes long. The school then had a testing period where they had either 3 minute long passing periods with 2, 15 minute breaks throughout the day. Or they could have 5 minute passing periods with no breaks. The teachers and students voted on the 5 minute passing periods. It then got changed to 4 minutes. And then finally it has been 3 minutes for the past two years.

Some pros of longer passing periods would be people could finally have enough time to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles. If a student ever needed help on homework, instead of staying after class to talk with a teacher. Which would result in students being tardy to their next class. They could talk to a teacher before class because of the extra minutes. The halls would also be less crowded as students would leave classes at different times. But some pros of shorter passing periods is we get out earlier. During the time when the school had 5 minute passing periods the school day was from 8:15 to 3:30.

Now some cons of both; longer passing periods result in longer days. Students also have more time to mess around and get in trouble with teachers. Some cons for shorter passing periods are students have no time to go to the bathrooms and fill up their water bottles. Also having classes on opposite sides of the school is a struggle. It’s hard to get to the next class in just 3 minutes, and students are counted tardy if they're late.

If you could choose how long the passing periods were, how long would you say(1-10 minutes)?

Would you have longer passing periods but a longer day or a shorter day with shorter passing periods?

Do you agree or disagree with the time the passing periods are currently?

Mr. Bruns

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that the passing periods should be a little bit longer. 5 minutes is a minute longer than I would say, but I think both are better than the 3 minutes that it's at right now. The socializing part of the passing periods is a really good point, kids need time for a break. To slow down from school work, if thats just 5 minutes in between class periods, it's better than 3.

• I understand that this gives kids a chance to do things they shouldn't do and how that is a reason why it should be shorter. But I also feel 5 minutes is better than 4 because that is just a one minute difference and if you have to go across the school or up the stairs or whatever else and can barely make it to class now then that would just be one minute as aposed to two to talk to the teacher that you need to talk to excluding if you have to fill your water bottle or go to the bathroom.

• That is a good point, maybe doing another testing period like they did with the 5 minutes versus 3 minutes with 15 minute breaks. I think that that could be a good idea to try another testing period. In my opinion that would be the best course of action. And I like your comments and debating.

• I think passing periods should be a little longer because three minutes isnt enough to go to the bathroom and fill up your water bottle and still be on time for class. I also think that 4-5 mins is the right amount because sometimes there are lines in the bathroom or classes far appart and this could help minimize tardys. 

• I agree that 4-5 minutes is a good time for passing periods. Through many people giving their opinions I think 4-5 minutes is perfect. I said 4 minutes at the beginning, but I'm now thinking that the extra minute or two would be nice especially when their could be lines or bad traffic in the hallways.

• I think that the passing periods should be a little longer, like four or five minutes students should have enough time to use the restroom during that time, but what if there is a line. The teachers shouldn’t be so picky when it comes to using the restroom. But there is a possibility of students talking and messing around  during that time. Over all passing periods should be a minute or two longer than three minutes.

• Thinking in regards to the lines is a very big part of people being late coming into class after going to the bathroom. If you're given 3 minutes to go to the bathroom, and then on top of that have to wait in a line. There is no way that you are going to get to class on time. I also agree there are some students that would abuse the longer passing periods, but overal I believe it would be beneficial to all the students.

• I would make passing periods 6 minutes. I'd rath have longer passing periods and longer days. Becuase, if your unstairs and you have a down stairs class on the other side of the building your going to be late because you only have 3 minutes. I think 6 minutes would be perfect it would give you enough time to go the the bathroom and take your time walking to your next class. 

•   I think that they should be 4-5 minutes instead of 6. While 6 would be more time I would rather not have to add on to the end of the day. By doing 6 minutes that would add 24 so rounded up 25 minutes to the end of the school day making us get out around 3:25-3:30.  

• I do not think 3-minute passing periods are long enough because that is not enough time to go to the bathroom and get to your class on time. I think a good amount of time for passing periods would be 5 minutes, which would give kids more time to go to the bathroom instead of having to leave their class.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker