history of Florida

There are a lot of things that people don't know about florida. They became a state on March, 3rd 1845. When I think about Florida I think about how hot and nice it is but, I learned that Florida has gotten to -2 before.

One thing that you may not know about Florida is that it was under colonial rule by Spain from the 16th century to the 19th century, and briefly by Great Britain during the 18th century. They stopped having control over them in 1783. This also means that they were named after something in Spain. They were named after the Spanish festival  La Pascua Florida after the Spanish festival Pascua Florida, which means "festival of flowers."

One fun fact is that the First Integrated Professional Baseball Game for African Americans. Took Place in Florida Jackie Robinson the first professional basketball player. Played a training game in Dayton Beach,Florida. Another one is that Florida is the flattest state in america. When I think of flat states I think of flat states I think of Nebraska somewhere in the midwest.

I love traveling to Florida and being on the beach. This is one of the reasons why I go. I want to go to Disney World some time. Did you know that Orlando is one of the most visited cities because of disney world. I go to Jacksonville to see my cousins. Outside of Alaska, Jacksonville is the biggest country. Nearly 2 times the size of Los Angeles.

link  

link

Have you been to Florida? If so, have you ever gone to Disney World ?

Did you learn anything new? 

Do you like or play basketball?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have been to Florida many times with my family. We visit Disney World everytime we go to Florida. I did learn new facts about Florida and how flat it is and the baseball history. I do not play basketball but like watching March Madness on television.

• I've never been to Florida but I hope to go there eventually in my life and I don't play basketball but its fun to watch sometimes and I think its an intresting sport and fun to just mess around and play it sometimes.

• If you get a chance you should go! 

• I am going to Florida this April for my cruise. I have never been to Disney World and I was actually supposed to take a vacation there but it was either Disney World or the cruise so we chose the cruise. I learned that there is a lot of different activities to do in Florida. I like basketball I just don't really play basketball often.

• I have been to Florida and Disney World. I was very young when I went. I do not remeber anything, but my mom likes to show me pictures. I like ot play basketball for fun, but I am not good so I would not play for a team.

• I have been to Florida and I have been to the disney park Epcot. My family chose to go to Universal Studios instead. I learned that Florida has so much more to do than just disney world. I love to watch baseball and my family usually tries to go to a baseball game whenever we go on vacation.

• Yes there are many things to do there!

• I have never been to Florida or any of the Disney parks. I would like to travel there because it is very pretty and has nice weather. I didn't know that it was under colonial rule by Spain throughout the 16th-19th century. I've played basketball but I don't like it enough to actually do the sport.

• I have been to florida and I did go to Disney World, I learned new things there and from this article. I do not like to play basketball, but if it was just for fun I could have fun playing. Florida is a very interesting state, thanks for sharing!

• Florida is good!!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker