History of April Fools Day

April fools day is a tradition celebrated or practiced every year on April first. It is a day full of tricks or jokes typically followed by the words “April Fools!” April Fools day has been around for centuries and is celebrated by many different cultures. Its true origin can be considered a mystery. There are only theories about how Aprils Fools truly came to be.

Some historians date April Fools Day back to 1582. This was when France switched from the Julian calendar to the Georgian calendar.  In the Julian calendar the new year began around April 1st. The Georgian calendar started the new year in January. Many people didn’t acknowledge the change to January and continued to celebrate it in April. It became a widespread joke, people would make paper fish and place them on their backs meaning , “poisson d’avril,” or april fish. It was meant to mean an easily caught fish or a gullible person.

Do you like April Fools Day?

Have you ever done a prank on someone for April Fools Day? If so, what was it?

Did you know the history of April Fools Day?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I enjoy April fools day and I enjoy watching pranks happen. I have never done a prank on anyone before but I have been pranked. I did not know the history behind April fools day. 

• Me too, I have been pranked but haven't really done a prank.

• Also I didin't even know anything just about all the history of April Fool's Day orv how did it even happened during the time. When the day of April Fool's day did come I did do a prank on my mom it was doing the spider on the toliet paper,

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker