History and progress of sexism

Over the past three hundred to four hundred years, women have been projected as many things. Sexism has played a major role in forming society into what we know it as today. In the 1600s, women were often accused of being witches and given unfair trials under the basis of “guilty until proven innocent”. In the 1700s, they were expected to marry young, give their husbands children, and cook and clean all day. In the 1800s, the same expectations as the 1700s were the norm. 

Everything started to change in the 1900s. During the early 1900s and up to the mid 1940s, women were hard at work in shops and factories. Filling in for the men whilst war raged across Europe. The women’s rights movement became a major concept in the 1960s and 1970s. The idea was to include women more in the workforce, military, give them the same rights as men, etc. 

Millions of people were against the women’s rights movement. Those who believed/believe that women should still marry young, provide children/heirs, and stay at home are the key protestors for the movement. But despite the efforts of those who disapproved, women were granted the right to vote, the opportunity to do anything/everything that a man can do, etc.

Do you think sexism is a major/key contributor in life today? Why and where?

Should men and women be allowed to have the same opportunities?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that men and women should be treated equally and be paid depending on their job and not depending in their sex. I believe they should be able to have the same opportunities. It has got really better than what it was in the past. 

• I think sexism has played an important role in forming our country today. When woman got the right to vote it completely changed the political system. Now public officails had to appeal to woman as well.

• Sexism has definetly played an important role in defining our country and shaping it into what we know. I like what you're saying on the political aspect of things. By having to appeal to women, political candidates had to understand and take into the account that they would have to make comments and/or promises that women would like too.

• I personally don't really think very many things are sexist anymore, because woman have complained so much. We complained about not getting to work, and now we complain about working. I think it is a never ending cycle and we will never be happy. I think men are paid more, becaues they are usually better at their jobs, if it has to do with physical strength.  Some woman can be stronger than men but most of the time men are stronger, just because of genetics, and it shouldn't even matter, because its not a competition.

• I think that women are there own person and should do what they want, but i don't think women have it harder than men, in the last 100 year women had a persona to stay at home and cook or clean, and the reason for this is because men where at war, now some people in todays world think that it was horrible, well it was not horrible to say back then because the men where dying fighting for there country while the women where working in factories, or doing everyday jobs that the men used to fill. So to answer you question i don't think that there is sexism towards women and i don't think it plays a key role in todays society.

• I think that men and women should be allowed the same opportunities and if they do the same amount of work then equal pay as well. men can be strong but so can women they can both be stronger than each other so it's unfair to judge just because of someone's gender.

• Saying that it's unfair to judge someone based on gender is something that most everyone can agree on. Equal amounts of work should equal the same pay. But unfortunately, it doesn't. In CWI, Mr. Bruns taught us that for every dollar a man makes, a woman makes only 88 cents. So, clearly, employers do judge by gender. They don't give women the better opportunities for jobs because they don't want us to "get hurt".

• I think men and women should have the same opportunities in everything. Yeah some men or usually stronger but there could be a women stronger than a guy. It can go both ways. I don't think it's fair for people to stereotype women and say we just belong in the house. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker