The whole country knows what happened during the Monday Night Football game against the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals. The 24-year-old Damar Hamlin collapsed due to a cardiac arrest. This cardiac arrest could have been an instance of commotio cordis which is a blunt force impact disrupts the heart’s rhythm. This type of cardiac arrest is very rare.

In the 21st century 11-player tackle football was trending in high school, until the 2009-2010 academic year. The newest survey from the NFHS shows that in the 2021-22 academic school year there are less than 1 million people involved in 11-player high school football. That is the first time on record with fewer than a million players in 11-player football. This is a decrease of 12.2% from the peak in the years of 2008-2009. Football isn’t the only sport decreasing in size basketball is also decreasing. On the other hand, track and field and soccer are increasing. Soccer is increasing the most from the sports. In the 2018-19 school year there were 4.5 million boys involved in sports and there is 3.4 million girls involved in sports in that same school year. Now there are 200,000 less girls and boys as well, 400,000 people, in total, less in a 4 year span.

In my opinion, I don’t think that it is because of the injuries. I think its from the new technology. I think that the injuries also have some play in the decrease of people or students but not as much as technology. The new technology is starting to make people “lazier”. Instead of actually playing the sport you can play in online with friends instead.

Why do you think the number of students are decreasing?

Do you think that technology and online games play a part in the numbers?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• There are a lot of people and students that are getting very lazy and spending their money and time trying to use less of their energy.

• I think the number of students is decreasing in sports because not a lot of people are interested in sports and a lot of people are usually busy and don't have the time. Some students just simply don't want to do any sports. Technology and games probably do play a part in this because im sure some students want to stay home and be on technology.

• I agree. Students are getting very busy these days. Especially because of school and work but then adding sports on top of that?!?

• I think that numbers are probably decreasing because there are more unhealthy people that ae overweight and they are not in sports. Technology and online games may also be a part. However, if you think about it, 200,000 is not very many people when there are 4.5 million to start with. It think that the main reason is because there are less young people than there used to be. People used to have 10+ kids in a family but now the average is much less and there are less kids.

• One of the main reasons they are unhealthy and overweight would be that they don't take the time and play sports to get in shape or they don't pay attention to their health unlike people who play sports.

• I think the numbers are decreasing because of technology and soft parents. Kids are definitely becoming more lazy and many kids get injured from not taking care of themselves in the first place. I understand they can happen to anyone but many kids could take better care of themselves to help.

• I agree with what you said, Weston.  I do think that kids don't care about their mental and physical health as much as they used to. People are also getting lazy and that's because of technology.

• I think there are several reasons the number of students in sports is going down. Injuries and technology are probably the reasons. I think that the reasons participation in football is going down, while participation in soccer is increasing, are who can play and less nationalism. Only boys play football, but every able-bodied person can play soccer. Also, soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and with less nationalism, people are more open to playing it.

• I agree with what you said but I think that it doesn't matter what gender you are. Like football isn't just a girl sport but I do think that their isn't enough girls that would play football in high school.

• I do think that the number of students in sports are decreasing but not only because of injury. I think that many people are becoming lazier and wanting to go home and not be active. The technology and online games is also playing a part in numbers, kids are playing online sports instead of going out for them in high school. I think as time goes on the numbers will continue to decrease as people become lazier. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker