The whole country knows what happened during the Monday Night Football game against the Buffalo Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals. The 24-year-old Damar Hamlin collapsed due to a cardiac arrest. This cardiac arrest could have been an instance of commotio cordis which is a blunt force impact disrupts the heart’s rhythm. This type of cardiac arrest is very rare.

In the 21st century 11-player tackle football was trending in high school, until the 2009-2010 academic year. The newest survey from the NFHS shows that in the 2021-22 academic school year there are less than 1 million people involved in 11-player high school football. That is the first time on record with fewer than a million players in 11-player football. This is a decrease of 12.2% from the peak in the years of 2008-2009. Football isn’t the only sport decreasing in size basketball is also decreasing. On the other hand, track and field and soccer are increasing. Soccer is increasing the most from the sports. In the 2018-19 school year there were 4.5 million boys involved in sports and there is 3.4 million girls involved in sports in that same school year. Now there are 200,000 less girls and boys as well, 400,000 people, in total, less in a 4 year span.

In my opinion, I don’t think that it is because of the injuries. I think its from the new technology. I think that the injuries also have some play in the decrease of people or students but not as much as technology. The new technology is starting to make people “lazier”. Instead of actually playing the sport you can play in online with friends instead.

Why do you think the number of students are decreasing?

Do you think that technology and online games play a part in the numbers?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with what you said, Emma. I think that people want to save money up for their future. Especially if they are planning on going to college.

• I think that the number of students are decreasing is because of some people and parents being scared for their health.   I agree that some people are getting lazier and dont want to do sports or hard things in their life and this being a result of some technology.

• I agree with what you said. Some people are just scared for their health. They want to stay as healthy and safe as they can, especially the parents want us students to stay healthy and safe.

• I think there is many factors contributing to the decrease. My mom doesn't want my brother to do sports, because he might get hurt. I know many students' parents want them to do sports. I think it depends on the upbringing and how involved the parents were to be. 

• I agree. Some of the problems is the parents don't want their kids to get hurt, but I also do think that eventually the kids are going to get hurt either way. The parents are just trying to prevent in while we are still growing.

• I think the more we research about injuries people are avoiding sports. I understand after seeing accidents on football fields such as concussions or other major injuries. Damar Hamlin was one of them who had collapsed on the field. I believe technology will make the game of football a safer place for everyone.

• I agree. When a large amount of people find out about injuries to professionals that play that sport sometimes they just don't want to risk it. I think its a good idea to research how to play it as safe as we can but still keep the game fun.

• Yes I think the student numbers are decreasing in sports. Because, kids have gotten so much more lazier then ever and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I think technology is a big part in it. Becuase kids can just play football games and basketball games on the tv instead of actually playing them.

• I agree people now a days are just getting  more and more lazy. People can just play those sports inside and relax while doing it.

• I think people are becoming lazy. Many dont want to participate in sports. The interest is just lacking. And technolagy defenetly effects this I think. Good topic. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker